Help for a beginner

Previous topic - Next topic

Havard

Thanks guys - lots of helpful advice.  Thanks for the reformat of the code Futurecow - I know what you mean!  Ian - I have used your code and it seems to work a treat.  Lastly on to the problem, adding the delay doesn't make a difference but I can get the kick to work if I add a check within the punch loop - so now you can punch and back kick both ways.  Still needs more work to work the way I want.  I think that cowie (can I call you cowie) has hit the nail on the head about timing.  I might have to get a bit more sophisiticated with my key checks but I'm not that clever...

Havard

It works!!!  I have attached zip for anyone interested.  What I have done is assumed due to the timing issues the punch key will be picked up and the routine to run the punch will take place.  So - before the punch happens I check for a left/right key press and set the state accordingly and it works!  I may need to fiddle a little more to get just the feel I want but it works.  Hopefully I can now add the rest of the moves...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hatonastick

Nice one!  It's always a great feeling when code works!  :good:

BTW as one of the people with a widescreen laptop, I'd prefer the option to have the game windowed instead of full screen as windows start complaining that the resolution being used isn't the optimal ratio for my display.  :S

Oh and BTW, welcome to the fun and ever growing world of GLB. :)

Havard

Will add the option for window or fullscreen just for you!

Hemlos

Excellent job guys!  :good:
Glad you were able to get to the bottom of issue.

Havard, when youre done, feel free to add your game to the main website.
BTW, one question:
Something im impressed with; did you draw the characters for all those animations yourself?

Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Ian Price

I think they all came from the original Spectrum game, but have been touched up, colourwise.
I came. I saw. I played.

Havard

Nope - all the graphics come from an old Zx spectrum game and were recoloured by a guy called Dean Swain (who is the biggest fan of the game ever). He created the sprites in the hope that someone would write the game and he was let down at least 3 times (including by me).  They were used in target 2006  and here I am having another go!!!  Links for your information are:

http://www.havsoft.co.uk/Target%20Renegade.htm - my website page for old version
http://www.target2008.com/target-2006/ -  Target Renegade 2006/08

and play original online here:

http://www.zxspectrum.net/ - look under 1988

Hope this is clear?

PeeJay

Welcome aboard Havard!

I know that this is going to be well beneath the level of coding you are at, but you may find the tutorials on my site useful (probably more the Highway one) to give you some ideas of nice layout and program control - and bear in mind these were written just after I had made the switch from Blitz to GL myself
www.peejays-remakes.co.uk
For games, remakes, and GL Basic Tutorials
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Havard

Hi PJ - had noticed that you had defected too!  Will check them out.