What about Admob on Android?

Previous topic - Next topic

msx

I am trying add Admob to my Android App but do not find some info about how get it. I think that Admob has not support of Spacefractal in a while. Is it possible to implement Admob now?.

I have tried several examples of the forum but they are old and do not work, at least to me.

MrPlow

Hi Msx,
I am using Admob with GLB v12 and AE 2.9
I am not sure about how it works for later versions - Happy to give you my working scripts but they need to be used with the correct source librarry files.

typically to use - you need to..

ads.load() outside of main loop or at the planned interval.

then do the ShowAInterstitial() function for each loop just before showscreen

You need a correctly modified Androidmanifest.xml, strings.xml (with admob id).

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

msx

I think I do everything according to the information you give me but it shows nothing. I am currently using GLB v14 and latest AE version.

spacefractal

its currectly unsupported, but its do might works. But im did also changes to it last year. Howover its not 100% stable at all, which is why im gave up supporting it. This was due its crashing too much when resuming on some devices..

Im do guess its could been a issue in HIBERNATE, which im should checking its still works as intended on Android, also im should change the whole admob system to using SUB GLB_ON_LOOP:, which prove to been much more stable and more correct way to code thing today in glbasic.

So when and if im do new version of Admob, then its will not been compatible with the older implemention at all, hence its currectly unsupported until then.

Also Admob does not work at ALL for Android TV.

Im do pretty sure Androidmanifest.xml, strings.xml would not been changed, apart just a version change in Androidmanifest.xml.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

MrPlow

My main motivation for not upgrading, is that I am worried that updates might not be properly tested for the likes of Admob etc.

And this could cause me to lose revenue. I feel the Android admob is crucial to get new users and existing users to use GLB for Android.

It might be some other problem causing your issue but I cannot tell.

One thing that happened to me before was using virtual screens I once hid my advert behind the virtual /createscreen image and I didnt discover the issue for days.

Comp:

MrPlow

I feel that sacrificing important revenue aspects (admob) for Android TV is not the best for GLB in the long run.
Android TV is not mass-market enough - I understand some members might want to develop for it but I am in no rush at present.

I like that GLB can work for a lot of devices - but Admob (plus other networks) is very important to any mobile dev. looking to make some money back for their development.

If Admob stopped working for me I would have to use a different framework. Purely for the reason I want to try to get revenue for my game development. I like GLB a lot and want to keep using it.

Comp:

spacefractal

inapp purchases also works nicely its seen throught.

Admob have just newer implemented for Android TV at all, and hence its cannot been used.

That it. Im cant implement for a platform when its dont exists.

So here im will need to checking so ads wont been used for Android TV at all.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

spacefractal

also mostly all your apps seens to been supporting portrait mode only, which is a nogo for Android TV (they only support landscape mode only, which is why im my self dropped portrait mode my self), so im doubt users can play on those devices anyway on the play store. so im doubt how much you have missed here.

Android TV is not the same platform as Android (same with TVOS against iOS). They are quite differens.

Also next admob update will indeeded using that sub to been required to been used as the main loop. So im recommend you to adapt all your apps to using GLB_ON_LOOP as main loop, which will been important now.

When im update the SDK, im also need to update Google Play Service as well (which sometimes breaks thing).

So im need rechecking its all working and its also working again around HIBERNATE command, which is a quite important command. Im guess mostly most fails has been in that command not resuming/doing correctly and then crash out (hence why im gave up last year, where im was not thinking what the issue could been). HIBERNATE was the main issue in iOS recently.

But also im cannot testing it on all devices of course.....
There is no TBA yet and need to add documentation as well (which is sparse). But is currectly checking.