Conditional Breakpoints & Reference Indexing

Previous topic - Next topic

bigtunacan

A couple of IDE features that I think would be highly beneficial are Conditional Breakpoints & Reference Indexing. 

Conditional Breakpoints:
In some IDEs I have the ability to setup a breakpoint that will only break based on the value of a provided variable.  This is nice for example when my game is running smoothly along through my draw calls until a the score is less than a certain number (yes I actually ran into this problem...)... many cases where this comes in handy.

Reference Indexing/Find all References:
Currently in the IDE I can highlight a function or sub call and select go to definition; what would also be useful is to do the opposite.  I would like to be able to highlight a function or sub name and say "Show all references/uses of..." and then get back a list of everywhere in my code this is being used. This wouldn't be too difficult to implement; it is basically just a short cut to the existing "Find in Files" functionality that automatically searches on the currently selected sub/function.

Moebius

You can create DIY conditional breakpoints (although not too smoothly):

Code (glbasic) Select
IF count < 0 OR x = -1
       DEBUG "Set breakpoint to this line."
ENDIF

Reference indexing would be useful if not painful to implement.
Endless Loop: n., see Loop, Endless.
Loop, Endless: n., see Endless Loop.
- Random Shack Data Processing Dictionary

Kitty Hello

dounble click on the function name, then press Ctrl+Shift+F3 should bring the "search in files" with the selection as a search option.

Debug in a code is not really a good idea. No other IDE has that. Just press F9 and done.

Moebius

A bit late, but I meant press F9 on that line ('DEBUG' is there for no particular reason...)
Endless Loop: n., see Loop, Endless.
Loop, Endless: n., see Endless Loop.
- Random Shack Data Processing Dictionary

Crivens

Personally I would quite like it if there was an undo for the "go to definition". VS used to do it (was it CTL+F3 then CTL+SH+F3 to reverse? Plus it had a memory so you could go back quite a few steps). Much better for having a quick look at something and then going back to where you were before.

Plus instead of showing where all the occurrences of a function exist, I think it would be better if the standard search box had a tickbox to allow the whole project to be searched on (also like VS does), not just the current open file. Would be very handy and something I actually miss on a regular basis.

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.