Spots V3 Preview

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTAToad

I've uploaded the preview Spots program to the Downloads area (http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=9), with piccies in my Blog (http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?blog=948) :)

As I state there, its nowhere near finished - the main game is more or less finished, but there are a few display things to sort...

Ian Price

It crashes/stops working if I enter a new profile and then try to SELECT it. I don;t know if this was just a one off thing, or it's normal. Might even be a Windows 7 thing. Dunno. :(

It does however save the profile and I can then SELECT it and play with that profile if I restart. :(

It's a cool game (the AI is really cool), but the small size of the screen detracts. Even scaling this up would improve it no end.

Keep up the good work :)
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

You can change the screen resolution, but I haven't tested it in different resolutions yet (for example the menu text size doesn't increase, but the selecting shape does).  I keep it at a small resolution so that I know everything will fit whenever a higher screen size is used.

I dont know why the profile crashed - it works here (with Windows 7 x64).  However, its not an area that's been tested yet as more arcade levels are needed.

Moebius

Most of the resolutions I tested worked very nicely, but when I put it on very high res (aka 1400x1050, 1400x900) some of the button's click areas aren't in the areas where they're drawn, but mid res works perfectly.

Whenever I select a profile it says "invalid value for the maximum number of moves" with a button taking me back to the main screen, so I've just used 'League' mode.

Great concept btw, and when you've finished the full thing, gfx and all, I'm sure it'll look great.  Your AI (as Ian commented) is great as well!  (It beats me every time...)
Endless Loop: n., see Loop, Endless.
Loop, Endless: n., see Endless Loop.
- Random Shack Data Processing Dictionary

MrTAToad

QuoteYour AI (as Ian commented) is great as well!  (It beats me every time...)
As it should :)

I'll have to look at that message - looks like a key string is wrong :)

Moebius

Exactly, possibly a file writing/reading error?  I'm on Windows 7 32-bit BTW if it helps.  It's strange that three Win7s should act differently...
Endless Loop: n., see Loop, Endless.
Loop, Endless: n., see Endless Loop.
- Random Shack Data Processing Dictionary

MrTAToad

Anything is possible :)

MrTAToad

I've updated the title options to now look like :

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kitty Hello

very nice. The black background looks a bit empty. Maybe you want a gradient or some stars blinking there?

matchy

In regards to just game-play, I generally had no idea how to play and so it's hard to test.  :noggin: Looks like you need to put the missing instructions in there or a quick help tip dialogue for the initial moves. For example, when the level starts; "Welcome to Spots. Select the yellow spot and click on a gray square [|w/e] for [some reason]...".  :whistle:

MrTAToad

The instructions will be added at some point, dont you worry...

I haven't decided what to do for the background yet unfortunately.

Ionise

BUG!

This froze my W7 X64 Dual Core PC when conflicting with my Firewall
Please remove upon installation.

MrTAToad

Cant say I've had that trouble - what were you doing ?

Ionise

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2011-Jan-12
Cant say I've had that trouble - what were you doing ?

Nothing in paticular my Firewall is in interacvtive mode so i can keep an eye on all inbound outbound activity any new activity needs to be authorised by me.

Just wondering why your demo attempts to make an outbound connection what is it trying to send?

EDIT...
Just read your blog think i know now from the screenshots why its attempting to make an outbound connection but you may want to look into why it freeze's PC when connection attempt fails or is denied.
Please remove upon installation.

MrTAToad

It sounds as though the connection to GLBasic hiscore database couldn't complete.  As its never failed here (and it has a short timeout anyway), I've no idea why it freezes for you...