Could we (the community) help collectively promote GLBasic?

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTAToad

I'll see what can be poached from the other areas then :)

Wampus

Quote from: bigsofty on 2012-Mar-27
On a slight side note, how about producing a demo, like from the demo scene. If each person involved were to supply a function that was a fully enclosed piece of code, render, logic, etc. with an exit timer or key. Then we could all contribute to a GLB Megademo? I think it would be kinda fun!  =D

Hmm, nice :) I could contribute a fancier version of a polyvector thingy I borrowed from I Love My Brick to create:-

I could add a crazy scroller and 3D stuff or summink.

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2012-Mar-27
I'll see what can be poached from the other areas then :)

Raaaaaaaa! I'm excited.

Leginus

THis is probably going to sound really bad for which I apologise and I hope this doesnt cause offence as it is not meant to, but if it was called anything else other than GLBasic...even GLB then that would be great, but so many people are funny about the word basic.  I can't imagine a client being confident if I mentioned I was going to write their app in anything ending in Basic.

Slydog

Or 'GLIde'  =D

Ya, I hate how 'basic' has such a negative stigma.

Ha, I rewrote a million dollar program our company paid for, that took 1/2 hour to run one set of results.
It was originally written in 'C', and I rewrote it in Visual Basic 6.  Mine took 5 seconds to run.  And offered more functionality!  (To be fair, theirs was running on common routines they used for most of their clients, while my 'basic' code was written from scratch, so could be stream lined better . . . but still!)

Don't hate the language, hate the programmer!
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

Wampus

Well Leginus / Slydog I'm sorry too but I feel the same way. I hate saying I am using anything-Basic Why? Because of that look and attitude people give me that says, "You're using Basic? Wasn't that 8-bit stuff for kids back in the 80s? You must be a very bad programmer." I hate this stupid prejudice but I also can't ignore it.

I'm frustrated because I get this response from people in the industry including those who use scripting languages for an 'engine' with an overly simplistic IDE. They think they're 1337 and I'm an idiot, just because of what they associate with the word Basic. I'm embarrassed by that, even though I know for a fact that many of the coders I speak to can't program for ****.

The name GLBasic is technically very accurate for what it is - its Basic that uses OpenGL functions (amongst other things). However, because of what people associate with the word the connotations are inaccurate and misleading. It would be more descriptive of what it is to call it something like GLMobile SDK or GLFast SDK.

Can you think of any other game orientated IDE that compiles for so many mobile devices? I can't. GLBasic is King of platform adaption and compatibility. If the name gave a hint of that or just sounded cool it would help its popularity I'm sure.

Quote from: Slydog on 2012-Mar-29
Or 'GLIde'  =D

Hmm, I love the sound of GLIde.  :) I wondered about suggesting FlexGL but GLIde sounds cooler.

quangdx

I too have to add that when people ask me what language I'm coding in,
I have to pause a second before saying GLBasic, as they have no idea of the product, the just have preconceived notions of what BASIC is.
Sometimes I say, I'm coding in an language that's like BlitzBasic or DarkBasic, it's a cross platform compiler called GLBasic.
That usually helps them to understand a bit better.

But yeah, renaming the product toe GLB or GLide would be pretty cool, to help take away the stigma.
Although this is Gernot's baby, so he can call it whatever he damn well pleases.
Asobi tech - the science of play.
Spare time indiegame developer.

MrTAToad

I hope to start something next week or so...

Kitty Hello

what's wrong with BASIC? People are so silly. Everything must be programmed in the most complex language to be cool? You can't imagine what shite C++ I discover daily.

I can't think of any other name that would fit this product. GLSDK?

spacefractal

There nothing Wring with basic, it's people that might use it wrong.

For me no need change it (and glfast is bad name as well, dispite glbasic compile slow when compared with example blitzmax ), mightbeen other than glbasic sdk....
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

tatakamucher

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2012-Mar-30
what's wrong with BASIC? People are so silly. Everything must be programmed in the most complex language to be cool? You can't imagine what shite C++ I discover daily.

I can't think of any other name that would fit this product. GLSDK?

BASIC in the name is good, i found GLBasic because i search a "basic" language game engine  and found it :good:

Leginus

I agree that basic is good on the name for attracting people who are looking for a nice language to use, but you could still have it in the web description for searching.

I am not funny when it comes to coding, but you can't get around the fact that many people (including clients) still are.

Think of it like this.  Do you think unity would be used by as many major studios if it was called 3dbasic? 

It's a shame, but it's still true, people's perception is still not good for basic, regardless of how well written or fast it is.  :(

okee

Yeah I agree the word Basic has a stigma attached to it.
I think it's because if you mention basic to someone it conjures up images of
10 Goto etc whereas the modern basics have evolved a lot since then
Then again I found GLB because I was looking for a Basic language
Could probably use the term "Modern Basic like Syntax"

And the funny thing is all those coders that turn their nose up at Basic
are the ones hailing python as "The Modern Basic"
Android: Samsung Galaxy S2 -  ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 2
IOS: 2 x Ipod Touch (1G)

Ruidesco

There is nothing wrong with "basic" being in the name, it's where it comes from and it's how people who want a language with BASIC-like syntax will find it.

spacefractal

extracly. Basic must been in. I love basic languages :-D.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

fuzzy70

It's a shame that the "B" in basic stands for "Beginners" even though it has moved on considerably from it's original incarnation. While that was fine at the start when programming language options where limited it has proved to be a stigma in some was.

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)