Previous topic - Next topic

Pahl

Still going through the tutorial and am up to "Sprites"

now the tutorial says to add the commands

LOADSPRITE "Bubble.bmp" ,0
SPRITE 0, 300, 150
SHOWSCREEN
END

thus resulting in a visible result. But all I'm getting is the window popping open then closing right away.  I added the line "MOUSEWAIT" and the window is blank. Now I've found  "Bubble.BMP" so I know it's there but for some reason it isnt loading.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I appologize in advance. I'm determined to learn this and will consequently inundate you guys with, what will probably be, irritatingly noobish questions.

Synthetic

Hehe, you will need to use a loop on this too. Almost every program will more than likely need a loop to keep it going. The only time you wouldn't want a loop is if you have a program that only needs to run once.

Here is the basic loop:

a = 1          // Goes before the loop. - This is to define a variable as true in the case for the while/wend loop.
while a = 1 // Goes at the start of the code to run. - Specifies that as long as variable a = 1, any code after "while a = 1"
                 // and before "wend" will continually run till the condition is false aka "a" doesn't = 1 anymore.
wend         // Goes at the end of the code. - This is the designation for the end of the while/wend loop

Adding it to the tutorial code, you should end up with something like this:

a = 1
LOADSPRITE "Bubble.bmp" ,0 // Always load graphics and such outside of a main loop as it will slow things down

while a = 1
SPRITE 0, 300, 150
SHOWSCREEN
wend

I hope this helps. :D
"Impossible is a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit."

My AMXMODX plugins for Day of Defeat 1.3 can be found here.

Kitty Hello

This will heat up your PC, with no much visible result.
How about:
Code (glbasic) Select
WHILE 1=1 // forever
   a=a+1
   SPRITE 0, 100*SIN(a)+100, 150
   SHOWSCREEN
WEND

Pahl

Thanx for the help guys. I'll give that a try later today.

So I'm guessing the tutorial is a little flawed then?

Pahl

Synthetic

It's not that it's flawed but that it just shows the concepts of how to use commands. ;)
"Impossible is a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit."

My AMXMODX plugins for Day of Defeat 1.3 can be found here.