App hosting charges?

Previous topic - Next topic

Leginus

I have been approached to write an iphone app for a local business.  They would like it to go onto the app store (which is fine), but my question is this.

Would I need to specify in the contract a minimum hosting term and then charge them app hosting after that time?
Would I charge them a yearly hosting charge anyway?

The reason I ask, is that at the moment the apple developers license is paid for and will be for the forseeable future, but what happens in, lets say 3 years, if I decide not to develop for iPhone anymore and don't pay the developers fee.  AT this point there app would no longer be for sale in the app store.

Should they be paying $99 a year to have an app hosted on the app store?  Seems a bit wrong somehow.

Have any of you come across this before or have any ideas?

Cheers

blackway

You're 'just' the app developer, you aren't the responsible for the app, the contents and the future of It. To be clear, I think that you must use the App Store signing key  from your customer (who must pay $99 and fill the correct form  ;) ) to sign your app.
Cheers!

Leginus

Thanks Blackway.

I thought of this as an option, but then realised just how much of a task it is and wondered whether it will fall into my lap anyway :)
I think you are onto something there though. I am meeting up tomorrow with them so I will know more then about the whole project and their expectations etc.

Ian Price

I agree - let them sort out the logistics. :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Moru

At work we did it like this. Set up a mail account, redirecting to the developing company who set up the account at Apple and handles everything for a fee, we pay them the apple fee + developing fee. We tried the other way around but this way we have control over our app and can change developer if we need.