Burning the candle at both ends!

Previous topic - Next topic

Leginus

About a 2.15 am finish last night, and its now 7.50am on a Saturday morning.
I need to finish, and release for approva,l this app before myself and my wife go on holiday on wednesday.
Still left to do is the swipe system, the main enemy gfx, the collsions, scores, menu,options etc.

SO....this got me thinking.  What sort of time do you guys put into your games ventures per day.  I think it has become a bit of an obsession for me.  I have substituted 6-7 hours a night from world of warcraft , with 6-7 hours programming lol

I forgot to say that I do go to work during the day as well :)

doimus

Being unemployed helps a lot with time, but kind of hurts in the money field.  :whistle:

I currently have at least 5-8 hours a day to devote to studying game development, but there is this big huge hole in my pocket as well.

Leginus

I have both sympathy and envy at the same time  :P

erico

I work as a freelancer artist over some studios during daytime, sometimes at night too(8-14h worktime). It leaves very little for game programming, I have been trying to kick this in for an year already.

Good thing is that bills are paid and sometimes I get weeks/months off work.

Still, it´s no good and I should change plans to accommodate more programming time into that.

It would be nice if I could get an investment or something like that so to kick in a little indie house, but my guess is that saving this money myself is the only solution.

MrTAToad

Yes, unemployment has both benefits and problems.  I split my time between my game and taking the dog out.

Ian Price

I work really $#!+ shifts for the NHS, so I'm generally too knackered to do more than 2 hours development at a time.
I came. I saw. I played.

Leginus

I was lucky enough to swap my programming career for property development about 3 years ago, so its nice.  When i get in I am only physically knackered but not too mentally knackered, so after a shower and tea I am normally raring to go

Wampus

Once I start I don't want to stop until I'm exhausted, which I often am to begin with anyway! Mostly I don't get the chance to do that but if I have a whole day free and start early I might work 10 to 12 hours (with food breaks). Not having enough time or long interruptions are a big frustration. If I didn't have to earn money I would definitely create games just for pleasure - it would be a major hobby.

erico

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2010-Nov-27
Yes, unemployment has both benefits and problems.  I split my time between my game and taking the dog out.

wish I had a dog, and could do such! :nw:

I have such a problem for programing as I need to assist to it every day. I can skip 3 days most once in a while but if intervals start getting  bigger than that and more often then all logics go to trash...and I document my programs to my self extensively!

bigsofty

I have a sleep disorder, so some days I get nothing done, some I get quite a bit... It's a waste of time getting frustrated, I take it as it comes and enjoy my coding when I can.    ::)
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Leginus

Sorry to hear that bigsofty. I understand how frustrating it can be. I had labrynthitis for about 3 years and couldn't get on my pc without becoming extremely nauseus. That's why I changed my carear (I had to take redundancy).  Luckily it eventually went away, and hopefully yours will too.

bigsofty

Thanks dude. I do quite well, although sporadic work makes collaboration very difficult.

Ooh, feeling sick is the worst... Three years of feeling sick... jeez!
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)