New little game: Elevation [Prototyping, full source code]

Previous topic - Next topic

MrPlow

Hi SF,

Does this PSD format work for you...I dont have photoshop myself.

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

erico

You can also use TIFF and it preserve layers.

Hemlos

The bonus section is a section where you can share something with everyone (published, or complete typically), you got it backwards i think.
This is a beta program and it belongs in the beta section.

If you insist on it staying here, thats fine, no need to get upset, just send a pvt msg next time it happens.
Ill move the thread with intentions of properly sorting the subject,
thats what i do as a moderator, because the general public make a mess out of this forums.

Goodluck on your project.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

spacefractal

This bonus section is threated often as a closed beta, so not allways want to move to a public forum. That for now. Im move or create a annonce thread when im ready to show it.

The PSD file working perfectly, there was few open isues, but all graphics seens to been intact (im open with Photoshop CS2)

PS. Im do might clean up the thread moving debate, but its a closed bonus forum, so im dont mind.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

spacefractal

The hero in the normal size seens need to been 45x40 (etc 90x80 complely none scaled without antialasing). Also when he scaling down, then he will do become a little bit blurry and some details got discarded. Can that to been fixed, so he being more clear in that size?

The hero its self could also add that look Lady have on his body eventuelly.

A Another idea could been Erico could recreate the hero extractly as mrPlow have drawn it in 3D, then the hero and lady could been rending in a any size without blurring.

Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

I sure can do that.

Tell you the truth, I haven´t got around to make proper hero images, it seems a bit hard to me to depict the surreal style like floating heads artwise,
I did try to figure something on this line on Mr.Tatoad´s game SPOT, but it is hard to work it out, maybe it is not quite my style although I like the challenge.
Ian´s Hellowian also has a fantastic head-style, me and my Father play it till this day on the Caanoo.

... but if a layout is there, it is a lot faster to do the required art. :good:
Let me know what you guys think and I can try it out. I may need explanations on what is the circle on the guy´s body and if that over him is hair.
I like Plow´s style, it looks ´cute´ imho and may appeal to a wider range of kids. :good:

MrPlow

Hi Guys

Sprite looks well in your game!

I am finishing up my IGMC entry changes rest of the week  :)

So, the circular items is a shield, on his is head is cap / helm with spikes...

I got my sprite sizes a little bit wrong last time...by 20 pixels

Here are 90 x 80 and 45 x 40 in psd

Comp:

spacefractal

backgrounds and font is still all placeholder and is more or less random. we should start somewhere. So its the main heroes first. Rest would been easier when first we have a style to work on.

In Karma Miwa the backgrounds and tiles was started first.

originally the main hero was only 36x36 in the game, but can redesign the levels to use the bigger one, but its should not been too big. So nothing problem and sen 45x40 works well, and being a bit easier later one (the game can bee quite hard imo).

Also im do like Mr Plow style and its very cute.

yes, the circle and hair was somewhere to small, property due antialasing. Later im will seperate those decorations to own graphics images, so those decorations can expanded a litte more than in the body size its self. So only body is important to been between 45x40.

The reason, im thinks when he die, those decorations should fly off and fall. Im also thinks eye could blinking, but if eye was in a image its self, im property can do in code.

spacefractal

the size you send was seen to been in 44x36, but im will keep it in that size. Its works wonderfull in that size in the game, and only require very few level tweeks (in normal mode, only one tweek was required in the very last level).

The difficulty is now easier, after tweeks to the BOXCOLL, and the elevator got ghosted out after killed 4 times on that same elevator. Each kill on a elevator will that doing been a bit slower as well. In the Hard mode, its first got removed after 8 kills on that elevator (due its slowdown slower rate).

Im did that so this game dosent to been the "hate game" with too much frustations. So you can actuelly complete Area 1 without toucing a finger on the screen at all! You do get a pretty bad time and got killed about 70 times. But funny to watch.

MrPlow

Cool! Looking good!

My dims relate to cell size for the sprite boxes not the graphic itself - just the way I do it - but its looking v good - the wall texture is more random now and looks better.

Comp:

spacefractal

Im came to thinking today the background/foreground graphics style could do some thing style like Alfred Chicken as inspiration, but in different settings?

Im was thinking after im seen those now heroes this suit of cute graphics could suit the game nicely, now the game have been a bit easier and more kid friendly (except killing a lots).

MrPlow

Alfred Chicken looks cool!

I had Amiga and had lots of games. even worked in a Games Shop, but never had that one. :)
Comp:

spacefractal

Alfred Chicken might not have been a wide spread on Amiga, but im came to think about that game how backgrounds/foreground could look, something like that cartoon style and could fit the two main heros really nicely (why should give them a name).

This could even do something like that in the menu using a light color rather than black.

PS. Im have newer have the original, but im got a demo of it from a cover disc.

spacefractal

Im have moved this game out of bonus section. Im will property newer finish the game me thinks (Apple TV took over and im forget about this game, which im should redesign a bit). So im dedicated to release the game as its are as a Prototype (and im might do future improve the game) with full Source Code.

This game uses GameInput api, so this  game show off how to uses it in code.

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.