Getting a Linux program up and running #2

Previous topic - Next topic

kanonet

Last time i tríed it, doubleclick did work after i did set the file to executable. But im at work, so cant try.
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

MrTAToad

Yes, it is something that needs to be set on the executable

r0ber7

For Ubuntu 13 on a MacBook Pro 9.1 (64 bit):

Code (glbasic) Select
sudo apt-get install libsdl-mixer1.2:i386
Code (glbasic) Select
sudo apt-get install libstdc++5:i386
Code (glbasic) Select
sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-glx:i386

Last line might vary depending on your video card.

Moru

For future reference if I get troubles...

QuoteYou must to intall SDL libraries in Linux to execute GLB apps.
Type this lines in the console:

sudo apt-get install libstdc++5
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2
sudo apt-get install libsdl-image1.2
sudo apt-get install libsdl-mixer1.2

From this thread by hardyx:
http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=9699.msg84271#msg84271

mentalthink

Hi guys are you doing this under Virtualization?¿...
I'm in Vmware and I have this... But when I stay in Mac with Paralels was the same...

I have this error when I want run a Linux app... under Terminal... clicking over the Icon don't runs...
Code (glbasic) Select
timer
rbow
rbow init
VSync unsupported on old SDL versions (before 1.2.10).
SDL_init video
SDL_GetVideoInfo = 1280x800 @ 32 bpp. Screen 640x480
Requested SDL_OPENGL = 2
Requested double buffer
set up SDL for OpenGL mode
Setting video mode: 640x480x24 fl=2
SetVideoMode failed: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
INIT: Unable to create BPP -> trying 16.
Couldn't set GL mode: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

mentalthink

I done all Steps Rober... really I don''t know what's happends...

It's curious the GLX I think it's possible to test.. well when I did the terminal said something like I don't have OpenGl... But I installed Nvidia Drivers...

I think all the problem it's because it's virtualized... This weekend I try to put inot a laptop this same Linux and then I comment...

r0ber7

Quote from: mentalthink on 2013-Dec-24
I think all the problem it's because it's virtualized... This weekend I try to put inot a laptop this same Linux and then I comment...

I don't know VMWare, but virtualbox has an option called "supporting drivers" or something like that. It fixes video problems (for me).
On the other hand, you could just run Ubuntu from a USB stick and try it from there.

MrTAToad

Some virtual systems dont support the required BPP that GLBasic needs unfortunately - you really need to install addition drivers if possible.

Hark0

Any try compiled GLB app on SteamOS? (debian)
http://litiopixel.blogspot.com
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic

MrTAToad

mentalthink

Ok I think will use Virtual Box... I think the market of Linux can be ver interesting, in Unity they are doing a bit of advertising to this forget platform... I think now we can see a wave of developers into Linux...

Perhaps in some years Windows goes to Shi.=D, I think the most important part of a comercial S:O are the games, ins't, so this was the reason of Windows win the battle in the 80's (I suppose have another hidden reasons)

fuzzy70

I think there will always be Windows. Even if M$ go under (unlikely but who knows) someone will pick up the ball & run with it as you cannot ignore such a huge user base in both public & business sectors.

Unless you build a PC yourself 99.9% chance it comes with Windows on it, the shear amount of software available with no equivalents on other platforms plus loads of other reasons will see it keep on going.

Don't get me wrong or think I am all for M$ because I'm not. While Linux has made great improvements with regards to user accessibility it can still be a major pain in the arse with regards to hardware & software. I remember last year I was trying out about 5 different distro's & even though they was all based on the same kernel my wireless card was only recognised on 3 of them plus other hardware/driver issues. I managed to resolve the issues only because of years of unix/linux experience but a noob would have had severe trouble sorting it out.

With Windows & Macs you buy/download software & it works but alas on linux it's sometimes hit & miss, are you running KDE/Gnome/etc & have you got QT/GTK & so on which again is hardly welcoming for new users.

Those problems were not down to linux that much but the hardware manufacturers not releasing drivers or the code so a linux driver could be written.

If my 3D apps plus music apps (along with my VST's & other virtual instruments) had equivalent linux versions I would be tempted to switch.

With regards to stability I can honestly say that I have never seen a "Blue screen of death" on my system since using Win7 & had quite a few crashes with ubuntu before switching to Mint (again probably due to driver issues). One downside with Windows  is threats from viruses etc but that threat will always be there on the system with the biggest market share, even in the 16bit era there was more Amigas than ST's & the Amiga got the higher share of viruses on it.

Linux & OSx have quite a few security updates on a regular basis so it would be interesting how secure they are if Windows vanished & they where the target of all the hackers. I'm sure they would fare better than Windows but with that amount of hackers going at it like on Windows quite a few weaknesses will be found I think.

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)