Sequencer Software

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

Anyone use sequencing software(Ableton, Reaper, FLStudio etc.)? Looking for some recommendations, I need to record and edit some sound + midi? :doubt:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

Madtracker, fasttracker and a few others, what exactly do you have in mind?

Schranz0r

Hey Bigsofty,

give this a try: https://lmms.io/
Its more then less a ripoff of FL Studio for free!
I enjoy it a lot  :good:
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

spacefractal

im used FLStudio from version 3... but stopped after version 10 (but currectly stick to v10), due the software was changed too much and was more confusing after they stopped the pattern use (the main reason im purchased it for since that). But they do still do previous download throught for older versions.

For XM tracker im often use Milky Tracker (often with sound from the named software).

.... For Commodore 64 im use SidTracker on iPad.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

bigsofty

Thanks for the links guys.

I'm trying to find a hobby away from coding, so I picked up a synth (Deepmind 12) and would really like to be able to control, record midi and a few VSTi's(pref. 64 bit). The only tracker I can see that fully supports VSTi 32/64 is Renoise but I think FLStudio looks really good. LMMS looks good also but I feel I will probably need to go with the commercial option for decent 64bit VST support.

TBH I'm a bit shocked at some of the prices for full featured sequencing software ( Ableton Live is 450 quid!  :O ). Reaper (It's cheap too)seems to cover a lot of ground and the demo is indefinite but I still find myself wandering through a maze if sub-menus and dialogue boxes to the find the simplest thing.

It's an area I've not looked into before, I'm complaining but also enjoying the change of scene.  :D

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

That is very nice synth. Price of these software is understood as with such, one can high quality compose anything.
I don´t think I know enough on this field to recommend anything, but I have a korg controler here and it works with many trackers, including milkytracker as mentioned by Spacefractal. Milky being quite nice as I can run it on my canoo and android phone.

One software that could support what you need is the BUZZMACHINES but I´m not sure if it is still in development.
http://buzzwiki.robotplanet.dk/index.php/Jeskola_Buzz_Wiki

bigsofty

Thanks Erico, actually I first bought a Microkorg first off of eBay. It sounded great but I soon realised the knobs were faulty, it settings randomly jumped when you turned two of the knobs. Pity, as I said it was a great sounding easy to use synth but I had to send it back.

Buzz looks very interesting, it's a software modular synth but it looks pretty much dead, development wise.  :doubt:
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

Yep, seems quite dead, its time was around 10 years ago.

bigsofty

OK, tried em all. I really like FLStudio (Thanks SF!) but it seems to be hitting my VSTs hard CPU resource wise but I may still go with it at some point.

I didn't like, Ableton Live, it's expensive and a bit bland TBH.

Presonus One is great, easy on resources and it looks great/intuitive BUT it's way to expensive(400+ quid!).

So I finally settled on Reaper, it's cheap and has a full featured (infinite time with delay on start) demo, easy on the old CPU too. I will probably purchase it soon though as it has a very reasonable price.

Thanks for your input guys!  :booze:
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

yes yes yes...now let´s hear some music done! :D

bigsofty

LOL, hopefully in time Erico, for now I'm just annoying the neighbours and making my dog howl!  :D
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

How is the music front doing Bigsofty?
Got stuff to show? Needs a temporary-no-compromise project to help inspire?

I will try some music soon too, but it will be mostly tracked music.

bigsofty

Nothing to show Erico but I have found it to be very relaxing to mess around with. I really took it up find an alternative to computing, which takes up my daytime(work) and hobby time. I still code as a hobby though, I've still a game to finish but having a complete alternative to concentrate is my way of avoiding burnout. So far I feel it's working.  ;)

Oh, I also built one of these... http://www.instructables.com/id/Bartop-Mini-Retro-Arcade-Raspberry-Pi-and-Customis/ since I had an old Cade lying about. Seriously great little project, why is no one selling these pre-built?!?
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

I know what you mean, I have an acoustic guitar around here for the very same reason.
Still, I only go to it when I want to play something I heard, almost only to check if I can solve it by listening, very similar to my will to the trackers.
Of course once resolved, I memorize it.
Some stuff with multiple notes are very hard to get going.
I still have to practice drum and bass, bass seems to be the way to start a self created song, but I´m not sure yet. ;)

bigsofty

Yeah, music is a good way to chill. It's important not to concentrate all your efforts towards one thing I feel. I love programming but I don't want to get bored with it by letting it consume all my free time and in-turn slow my output. Burnout is something most coders suffer from but most are unaware of it at the time.

The Guitar is a great instrument, my brother plays it and I'm continuously envious of his ability. I tried to learn it but I never really got past the 'sore fingers' stage.  :P I would agree with you Erico that Bass, whether it be via bass guitar or via another bass instrument is the basic starting point of composition for most modern form of music.

Trackers are an interesting breed, many big name groups have used then and are still using them. Here's a Aphex Twin for example... http://www.factmag.com/2017/07/24/aphex-twin-vordhosbn-behind-the-scenes-video/
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)