Show routine name

Previous topic - Next topic

Crivens

Sometimes a routine or a function is very long and you forget where you are (or if you search for something and are now in another routine when you think you are in the routine you first searched from), so it would be nice to be able to see somewhere which function or sub you are inside. Either that or highlight it in the jumps list.

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

Quentin

based on many programming paradigm like KISS, DRY and what the hell others :) ...

Don't think it's a good style to have large functions or subs. They are always hard to maintain. Keep it as simple as possible, split it to more functions. More extrem friends of Clean-Code-Development will say, every function/sub or class should have one and only one responsibility. Don't know, if this always makes sense for GLBasic though.

Crivens

I know what you are saying, but reality can sometimes be a different thing, especially for old code you just want to modify and get rid of. It's like the GOTO argument. Sure you should avoid it all costs but what if you have to fix a bug while the client is going nuts because their business isn't working and the code is seriously old and full of GOTOs? No time to redesign you just do what you can. Of course this comes from years of developing travel systems where it turns out that a GOTO was the fastest method to do a loop in the language of choice and when you are dealing with processing millions of records then it became quite important (to an extent that it was actually put into the technical QA procedures - You failed QA if you used a WHILE on a tight loop especially if it dealt with a lot of records). And I'm talking about code that was first written sometime around 1989.

Also it's somethat that has been in VS for years (don't even remember it not being there in VB, and I used that since the original DOS version (Not Quick basic, the proper VB for Dos that looked like QBasic in DOS but with Windows type features) so would be nice to have here too.

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.