NES/SNES Remake Contest 2010

Previous topic - Next topic

backslider

Hi folks,

for those who do not know what a NES or a SNES is:
NES: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_NES
SNES: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snes

In the german forum we´ve started a competition in creating a NES/SNES game remake.
Of course you´re also invited to write a nice remake. :)

The Rules are:

- It must be a remake of an original NES/SNES game
- The game must have at least 3 levels
- All graphics must be self-made
- the sounds must be 100% free or created by yourself
- It´s your decision to use 2D and/or 3D graphics
- The game should be written completely new (don´t use old functions or other code-lines ;))

Closing date is: 10/31/2010

As a price i only can offer my respect and you could learn something :)

Who agrees... Happy Coding and have fun!
(if you want to participate, please write it down here and i will add you to the list)

Cheers
Backslider

PARTICIPANTS:

- Backslider
- Schranz0r
- BumbleBee
- matchy
- Ian Price
- Ragaril
- doimus
- Sokurah

Schranz0r

I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

matchy

I want to participate.  :)

Ian Price

I'd like to participate too :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Wampus

This is a great idea. I'm squashed by all sorts of commitments but I'd love to give it a go anyway.

I want to participate.

Hatonastick

I loved my SNES.  Wish now I hadn't gotten rid of it.  Mind you it went to a good home I think.  Honestly I think there were more memorable games on the SNES than there are on the Wii right now, although I still love my little white toaster.

Look forward to seeing what people do with this one.  Great idea for a competition. :)
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

Kitty Hello

Doesn't the Wii shop come with an SNES emulator, too?

I got the C64 emulator with California Games, and BubbleBobble arcade for the Wii and they both still rock harder than any of my (mostly bargain) Wii games. The only game we actually really play is WiiPlay. For X-Mas I'll get the kids WiiMusic.

I also got the SuperMarioBros. NES on the Wii. Still one of the best J&R level designs.
Also, Kickle and Adventures of Lolo are great puzzle games.
Ice Climber is classic! There was a knit-machine for the NES, and they had the first dance mats
I never liked Excitebike, but the remake "Joe Danger" makes me weep for not having an X-Box.

BTW: Who'd have thought in '95 that Sonic can be played on a Nintendo machine...

Hatonastick

Yup it does and I've splashed out on a few of the old SNES games, just that they haven't got all the ones I liked on there yet. :)

Actually I'd like to see them release more emulated games per month than they currently do.  I realise there's a bunch of things they probably have to organise before they release one, but they seem to be releasing them at far too slow a rate considering how large the combined NES, SNES and SEGA catalog is.

PS I grabbed Bubble Bobble too.  I used to complete the arcade version with my best friend.  We've also completed it on several 8-bit computers as well as the Atari ST.  One of our all-time favourite games.
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

Schranz0r

Bubble Bobble <3  have it on my C64 :D
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

doimus

I would love to try this. Count me in.

I also play more Virtual Console than regular Wii games. Old school just rocks, and it's more satisfying in short bursts.

But man, are those games hard! I'm trying to play Mach Rider and I get my ass kicked all over the place!  :P
And I actually finished that game on my NES back in '89. I'm getting old and slow.  :help:

Some technical questions:
What exactly is considered a remake? Same gameplay with newer graphics? Same graphics with different gameplay? Or am I free to interpret that myself?

backslider

Hi doimus :)

I understand a game remake as a new interpretation of an "old" game with modern graphics.

But basically it´s up to you how you will answer this question :)

Wampus

I'm going to be remaking Air Fortress.

I'm going to call the remake Alien Space Fortress and will be aiming to make some gameplay improvements. The original was addictive but some things were unnecessarily frustrating.

You can play the original online here: http://www.vizzed.com/vizzedboard/retro/game.php?id=36

I'm excited!

Ian Price

Wow, that's pretty ambitious given the timescale. Good luck :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Wampus

Quote from: Ian Price on 2010-Aug-25Wow, that's pretty ambitious given the timescale. Good luck :)

Thanks  :). It is ambitious but I love this game so much that I'll put in a lot of my spare time to get it done.

I figure its a very scalable project. If I can complete a very simple 2d horizontal shooter engine and a 2d platformer maze engine with some basic enemies then the framework will be complete. After that I will just add content until I'm out of time.

Scott_AW

Well that's funny, I statred working on a NES styled RPG a week back.  Its not a remake but an original...well it's a remake of an RPG I made 10 years ago but I don't think thats what you mean ;)

Regardless, I'm pretty far into it with nearly 70% of the maps done and nearly all other graphics.  Story and music still pending.  I may have to try my hand at famitracker since I planned on having all resources and content NES compatible.  Reason for this is because I got interested in Playpower which is using famicom keyboard based system for a 3rd world countries as an educational console.

So it will be a RPG with puzzles and combat based on math questions.

http://64digits.com/users/index.php?userid=Scott_AW&cmd=comments&id=268578
Older post in the blog contain some more details.

There's a walk-around demo of what's done of the world, I built it in GM and plan on porting the maps out to use in a GLB version which will be the completed game.
Current Project, Orbital Contract Defense
http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/code-name-ocd/9887/

BlackShadow now open source/resource(requires duke3d)
http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/black-shadow-3d/9885/