Online co-op game recomendations

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

Hi,

I am looking for an on-line co-op game recommendation. Preferably one without a monthly fee. It is for me and my son, who is 11. I don't mind war games, fantasy, etc violence, within reason. Anything too adulty, eg. any sexual content is not what I am looking for. I have been recommend Guild Wars 2 and World of Tanks. I've trolled various review sites and I am now thoroughly confused, can anyone recommend one that they have enjoyed? 

Many thanks,

Ian

Oh, and if I have to buy 2 serials for on-line play, the cheaper the better! :D
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Hemlos

My favorite is

http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/

It is a MMOwar game, with tanks, planes, trucks, infantry ships.
A fantastic war sim, and very co-op dependant.
Its free to play for a year now i think, you might find yourselves so immersed by that end time you will want to pay for a full blown account.

Im a member of 4wing, 4wingonline.com, a squad populated with real pilots from the airforce and civilian.
Other squads are dedicated to ground infantry, what ever your interests....that war sim has it all for you.
Also it has a rank system, ive played for a long time, 6 years now and im a major in the BEF, and flight officer in the RAF.

I recommend joining a squad such as "101st airborne" they are a great group of guys. I recoomend that group because they have a great infantry training. Personally i was part of them a few years back, but i switched to 4wing because i like found myself wingman for them more often than not.

Edit:
You need 2-4g of ram minimum, a decent 3d card, and make SURE you go download the latest updates for your video card driver.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

erico

This one game here:
http://www.modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/

I play with my brother, it´s good fun that way.

AmazingJas

You're in my wheelhouse now. These are the ones I've enjoyed. Let me know if you want any further details about any.

Make sure you check out cooptimus.com. It's th best site dedicated to coop gaming.

Mount and blade warband (my sons fav at the moment)
Torchlight 2
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas (Prefer the original, but some prefer the sequel)
Titans Quest
Battlefield 1 and 2
Conflict global storm/denied ops (strong language) single player sucks though coop is good
lord of the rings war in the north (buggy, but still good)
Sniper elite v2 (kill shots bit gorey though)
Hidden and dangerous 2 (with the saber squadron coop expansion)
Alien swarm
Call of duty world at war
Dead island
Left for dead
Dungeon defenders
Ghost recon advanced warfighter
Killing floor
Serious Sam
Soldiers heroes of ww2
Star trek away team
Altitude

Moru

You leave out Planetside, the only real fun coop online war-game. Sadly this is a prem service from Sony so I don't play it any more but it is my favourite online game.

It has a lot of depth that you just don't notice until you played a few years :-)

AmazingJas

Forgot Magicka   great game and helps you learn to type as well ;)

bigsofty

Wow, some great suggestions here guys! I'm working my way through them.

Just order a couple of cheap Amazon clip-on microphones, so I can take orders from the boy!  :S

Thanks for all your replies!  :good:

Ian
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Hemlos

Quote from: Moru on 2012-Oct-17
You leave out Planetside, the only real fun coop online war-game. Sadly this is a prem service from Sony so I don't play it any more but it is my favourite online game.

It has a lot of depth that you just don't notice until you played a few years :-)

That relic still exists?!?!

I played that game almost 10 years ago, for a couple years straight every day...I had a maxed out General with the big satelite laser device(forgot the name). I played it till i couldnt stand it anymore.

Hemlos

Oh yeah, forgot one big one...a pseudo free mmorpg with a giant community:

Lord of the Rings online!

Moru

Waiting for Planetside 2, is in beta now and broadcasting some live play every friday it seems.
http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/recap-friday-night-ops-episode-5.29350/

bigsofty

Planetside 2 looks interesting, it comes across as a vast Halo clone from the video but that's not a bad thing.
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Hemlos

It was fun. You could be a mech, or jump in/out of trucks/cruisers(alien), troop transports(multiple passengers) vehicles, speeders...the vehicle slash pilot slash infantry thing was definelty cool.
It had 3 teams, 2 human, one alien...they had ups and downs, in a balanced way; one race had powerful weps, the other had fast weps, and the aliens..had alien weps heh. An awesome coop. The only thing i didnt like was the sniper had tracered rounds. There was heat seaking missles to knock out mechss/airships /vehicles, and other infantry could specialize in pure infantry/infantry weps. Each weapon you choose had an advantage over some other weapon type, that said, a weakness against another type.
They had a ranking system too, where in the end you could be a "general" and leads the masses to strategic combat zones via world comms, and also help the team advance by knocking out key tactical targets(player group) with a satelite laser beam(which had a certain width depending on your rank as a general, wide and not so wide. ie about 20meters or 10meters respectively. It had underground mazes with ziplines, where the battle took place up down and all around. It had open ground outside area with fortresses your team would defend. Each zone had key areas to capture with a "hacking" tool player. Very cool game inded, it had alot of depth to it, though the world zones was a bit undersized for the huge player base.

It was very much like halo indeed. It is not a war simulator, it was a breed of its own kind of video game based on an mmo motif.
If you are looking for a war sim, i very much recom bge2 in my first post, especially if you enjoy air to ai, air to ground, ground to ground combat.

bigsofty

Thanks Hemlos, I like the look of both of these but I think Planetside 2 will attract him due to the eye candy factor. BGE2 is something I will be looking into as I am an old school Day of Defeat classic vet and this looks very much the same. ;)

Some more I've come across while googling about...

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare - http://www.chivalrythegame.com/blog/media

Also,

The War Z - http://thewarz.com/
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

matchy

How about Team Fortress 2?

Hemlos

Quote from: bigsofty on 2012-Oct-18

The War Z - http://thewarz.com/

Funny you mention that one, my sons and I have been talking about playing a coop as well, and this thewarz did come up. They have been infatuated with the tv series "walking dead" lately.