Samsung Galaxy S II

Previous topic - Next topic

Minion

Anyone have one of these and is coding for it ?

Have you had any problems at all ?

Is there anything that doesnt work, but you`ve managed to make a work-around for ?

I ask because my games refuse to work on these even tho they appear to work on everything else. Ive tried trimming my code down and adding points to show where in the code it appears to be bugging out. But more often than not it appears random (sometimes working with certain code, othertimes failing point blank)

Any advice wit this would be greatly appreciated.

Wampus

I have one of these. Haven't experienced problems so far myself but I haven't tested that much either.

I wonder if my apps will work on other Galaxy S IIs. Anyway, do you want to coordinate some testing?

Hatonastick

I own a Galaxy Mini and have had no problems coding for it (not that it's the same thing of course).  My sister has both the Galaxy S and Galaxy S II, I might try one of my programs on hers and see if it works ok.

Do you have a packaged Android program that you have trouble with on your Galaxy S II that we can test on our devices?
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

Minion

Both my recent free games bork on the S II ;( And its doing my head in not knowing why ;( Thing is, with the second game it was working fine on it (I got someone to test it as I was developing) then I had the mad final push tofinish it so no testing for a week.  Then it didn`t work ;(

You can find both in the market thread if you want to have a gander.

http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=6213.msg58393#msg58393

http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=6213.msg59515#msg59515

Minion

Any luck with these ?

Hatonastick

Unfortunately I haven't been able to check it on my sisters Galaxy S II yet.  I did test both on my Galaxy Mini (which I'm pretty sure uses the same Android version as the SII) ie. 2.3.4.

Anyway the results were surprising.  The free version of 'GL-X-EONS' seems to run ok, but 'Earth Invasion - Free' seems to have a few issues.  While the game title screen seems the correct size for my mobile phone, it seems as if the mouse pointer screen area hasn't scaled with it.  What I mean is I can only click on a button (so far only gotten the Continue button on the pause screen to do this) by clicking a long way away from it. eg.
                        [Button]                     >click here instead of on the Button<

Will have to wait longer unfortunately for Galaxy S II unless I can get my sister to install and try them (don't like your chances), as I don't know when I'll see her next.

Anyway hope Wampus is able to help...

Minion

Thanks chap ... least thats highlighted 1 bug for me (I did know about it, but thought I had fixed it). Suprised that GLXEONS works tho as it just dies full stop an the GS2 ;(

Wampus

Been afk for a few days  ;/

Will try the apps myself tonight and report back.

Hatonastick

Well I saw my sister and she didn't bring her Galaxy S II.  After explaining that I needed to test something on it (and she needed me to fix something on her phone), she jumped into action by not bothering to get in contact since.  ;/

So I think I might have to withdraw any offer of testing on my sisters Galaxy mobile phones.  I didn't think it would be a problem because a) she normally has both with her (uses one for herself and the other for her business) and b) she is normally around here quite a lot.  Oh well...

Kitty Hello

Haha. Typical reaction of non-geek family members.

Wampus

The free version of Glowing Sky works just fine. Looks very nice on the G2.

When I try GL-X-EONS the screen goes black, there is a long wait and then the following message appears:-

Sorry!

Acivity GL_X_EONS_free (in application GL_X_EONS_free) is not responding.

I then get the option to force the app to close, wait or report a problem. If I wait, nothing happens for a minute or so then the error message pops up again. If I force the app to close that seems to fail and everything is still black. I have to exit with the back button and go into the application managements screen to force a stop to the app there.

Once I saw on the application management screen that the app was slowly consuming more and more system resources like RAM and especially CPU, even though nothing at all appeared to be happening. I have not been able to repeat this.

Minion

Things go from bad to worse. Now my apps are not working on the Asus Transformer ;( I have absolutely no idea whats wrong ;(

Kitty Hello

Are you doing lengthy operations without a showscreen? Or any possible infinite loop wehn some data has unexpected values?

Minion

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2011-Dec-05
Are you doing lengthy operations without a showscreen? Or any possible infinite loop wehn some data has unexpected values?

No, Im very carefull with that. But even if it was that, why would it work on PC, pandora, other android devices, but only go belly up on certain devices ? Its a strange one indeed.

Crivens

You would have to guess that certain machines flip out far earlier than others. I remember years ago writing MIS software that needed to produce reports on data covering about 20GB of space. Even though the software was processing certain Windows systems would come up pretty early on with complaints that the software had stopped responding. Not all though. In the end made sure it used a doEvents() every now and again and it was happy.

In my game for example I have a configuration routine that resizes all graphics when the version of the app is updated (ie. only needs it once per update and only then when the screen size is different to the target res). However I read here that if it has a black screen for too long in iOS then it will be rejected. So I made sure it had a progress bar. Pretty much rule of thumb is not to let anything sit there for too long looking like it isn't doing anything.

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.