LOADSOUND with compressed Soundfiles

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuron

QuoteAlso MP3 is a very common format, more common than wav. Why is there no need for this and why does PLAYMUSIC support MP3s and PLAYSOUND does not?
It is not more common than WAV.  The MP3 format is a patented format.  It would cost Gernot a lot of money to license it for GLBasic.  Given the small community, it would probably knock up the price of GLBasic to around $500 or more.

Even then, GLB users still could not use the MP3 support as Gernot's license would only cover him.  For game developers the license goes by distributed copies and not sold copies so this affects even freeware developers, the license for having MP3s with your games is $2500 per title.  Since the vast majority of GLB users can't legally use MP3s with their games due to being unable to afford the license, it is rather pointless to implement the feature even if Gernot was in a position to be able to afford it.

kaotiklabs

So, as far as I can undestand anybody of you are using MP3s in your iphone games??
Vote Cthulhu! Because the stars are right!!!!
Ia Ia Cthulhu F' tang!

S. P. Gardebiter

@Kuron:

Oh really?
Why does PLAYMUSIC support MP3's then? ::)
~ Cave Story rules! ~

Kuron

Quote from: S. P. Gardebiter on 2010-Jun-18
@Kuron:

Oh really?
Why does PLAYMUSIC support MP3's then? ::)
Because the API that Gernot uses supports it ;)  Still that API's license doesn't cover you.  If you use MP3s in your game, you have to pay the $2,500 license fee.

Kitty Hello

* Kitty Hello converts al his music to ... OGG now. Blimey, I hope noone finds out...

Kuron

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2010-Jun-22
* Kitty Hello converts al his music to ... OGG now. Blimey, I hope noone finds out...
That is about the only thing you can do with MP3s and not have to pay license fees for ;) 

I got a C&D from Thomson a couple of years ago because I put a couple of free MP3s on my music site where I was selling my music CDs.   :(

S. P. Gardebiter

I would be fine with using OGGs for PLAYMUSIC/PLAYSOUND too.
I have googled about the OGG file format too, but I can't find anything aside from C/C++ Source Codes >_>;
And I don't know any C/C++ :/

All I ask for is compression, a own file format would be fine too :/
~ Cave Story rules! ~

Kitty Hello

shoeboxxed wav files? I would not be able to stream them, but they are about the size of a lossless ogg container.

S. P. Gardebiter

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2010-Jun-30
shoeboxxed wav files? I would not be able to stream them, but they are about the size of a lossless ogg container.

You sure? :/
My wave file: 2,84 MB
My wave file in a showbox: 2,37 MB
My wave file as a ogg: 255 KB
~ Cave Story rules! ~

Kitty Hello

that's not lossless then. Well, suggest what I should do now. I don't see a way to play corss platform OGG files. Do Linux and Mac platforms already support OGG with PLAYMUSIC? (can someone test, please) In that case I'd only have to cover Win32 and WinCE. The first of them might be doable, but WinCE is definitely bad.

S. P. Gardebiter

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2010-Jun-30
that's not lossless then. Well, suggest what I should do now. I don't see a way to play corss platform OGG files. Do Linux and Mac platforms already support OGG with PLAYMUSIC? (can someone test, please) In that case I'd only have to cover Win32 and WinCE. The first of them might be doable, but WinCE is definitely bad.

I'm not sure. If uncompressing at game start is no solution, then I don't know o: Perhaps there is a LPGL OGG Vobis libary. A long time Linux user told me, that Linux does support OGG Vobis (as a codec), while a native Windows version does not. (Not sure about Mac though) I can't play OGG's with PLAYMUSIC, so it seems that umcompressing is the only solution D:
Or a own file format. But I don't know anything about compression :/
~ Cave Story rules! ~