"Map Engine" update - Blobo's Quest version 0.20

Previous topic - Next topic

Darmakwolf

Worked a bit with my map engine I posted previously. I decided to go with the "zelda" style, thanks to a suggestion from a forum member :)
This is just a basic 4-map demo. Use the arrow keys + z to attack enemies. I've implemented stats, HP / EXP bars that work with percentages, and fighting enemies can level you up!

For testing purposes:
hold F5 to see the enemy tile-occupy system at work
Press * to gain exp, / to lose exp (numpad)
+ to gain HP, - to lose HP (numpad)
"Clear" to scroll to the previous weapon, = to scroll to the next weapon (also on the numpad.)

Let me know what you think!

Note: Binary only! Has over 2250 lines of code, I'll keep it proprietary for now :P

[attachment deleted by admin]

Wampus

Hey, that's really coming along. I also found the creature editor. Awesome. :)

I happened to be listening to this chip tune while playing. Made an interesting big difference to the experience. I hope you include music for the beta/final versions. :)

Darmakwolf

Love the tune! I definitely intend to put good music in the game before release. I've always been a fan of SID (commodore) music - I think either that or some Amiga would fit it. Any other suggestions for the game? I plan on adding a text and event system to give it some story and purpose next. I think I want to put a currency system in it where enemies drop items and money and you can buy things from various shops

Also.... I thought I had hidden the monster editor pretty well. Guess not!!   :giveup:

Darmakwolf

Added:

Fixed lots of hidden bugs
Enemies have a "death animation"
Title intro revamp
Music! (Commodore SID)
Press F12 for my awesome Windows 95 debug menu :)

Todo: make transitions for changing maps. Any suggestions on that??

[attachment deleted by admin]

Wampus

Death animations make a difference.  :)

I thought the transitions between hidden areas fading into view when they were entered was good. If you're talking whole screen flipping then a nostalgia map transition could use a similar style as the original Zelda NES game, e.g. when you reach the right edge of the screen the next map scrolls in from right to left and you start at the leftmost position. Does the job. So does what you're doing already.

BTW I found that if I've just entered or left a new area and haven't moved yet, using the attack button will put me in the last screen position I was in before I was in the new area.

Darmakwolf

Yup! I noticed that problem too. It's a simple fix... moving to a new room changes your DRAWN x/y, but for some reason I forgot to make it change what tile you're actually recorded as standing on (which is used when you attack, drawing the character at the old position.) As for scrolling the entire map when changing rooms... that could be really difficult. I guess I could have it make two virtual screens... draw the map onto one, and the new map onto the other, then slide them over.. it will take some work.