HDD crash.

Previous topic - Next topic

hardyx

Oh my God. I hope you can recover the important data and the GLBasic project. Do you have S.M.A.R.T. activated? They say SMART warns you before this happens. I hope you have your code in private SVN, or Dropbox or elsewhere, please, please. Use another hard disk to copy and repair the data, don't touch the original disk.

spacefractal

You not have tried one of the named commercial software and scanning thought hd?

Sad backups might been gone as well, so I guess glbasic support and trust might end due this?

If the HDD is not physical broken, then you should try and get one of the commercial product, which all is worth money (also I both used Active@ File Recovery and R-Studio with nice succes). Also recently Windows could even recover the MTF crashed harddrive with a regular CHDDSK from a another machine (here its was none important drive, but did contain a lots of music on it, all recovered nice).

And DONT recover on the original disk, undless if can been done with regular CHDDSK.

Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

MrTAToad

At least that is something!

hardyx

My friends said GetDataback software is a good choice for recover the data. It's commercial but is good.
http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Wampus

Ah that sucks. Sorry to hear that.  :(

I suppose doing searches for recognisable text in the files that currently have unrecognizable names and directories might help a bit. Even still, its a lot of work, waiting and sorting for recovery that would probably only be partial. What a pain.

Quote from: Slydog on 2012-May-18
I've read the other comments, and the only thing I can suggest for the future is use 'Dropbox'.
That's all we use to make sure our data is backed up.
I love the way it works behind the scenes and acts like a regular folder.  Simple.

I use Dropbox for shared work. Its become kind of essential. I also use SpiderOak for things I don't want to share like my own code base. SpiderOak is cheaper, has very robust security and greater flexibility but its harder to set up, more complicated to use and isn't nearly as well known as Dropbox. That last point is why I also use DropBox for shared work and will always do so. Everyone has Dropbox.

mentalthink

Joder!!! que put....!!!

I rebember some year ago, I use a soft for recover the files, after formating the disk and a lot of thing apperas but don´t have name... very difficult to recue... I think it the hard drive don´t works you can try to make 2 things....

1rst the most secure, how told toy MrTatoad, send the had drive to a company to extract the data...

2nd. Get another disk equal, and change the disc... basically the problems in hard drive it´s the electronic... the disc normally don´t have problems... it´s a little problematic, the hard drive have a different tools for open it...

I hope you can solve the trouble, and if we can do something... off course, I´m glad to help you.

Kosta

Gernot, has you tried to repair MFT with chkdsk?
NTFS creates a mirror/backup of the MFT. chkdsk tries to synchronize the mirror.
Intel QuadCore, Geforce8600GT,512MB,4GB Ram, 26" TFT
HP nw8440 Schläppy
GP2X Mk2 (Firmware 3.0)

GLBASIC Blog:
http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?blog=51.0

spacefractal

Yes its mightbeen why I could repair the MFT broken (or something) last time its happens on that machine, but did not contain any sourcecode (but other kind of files). Here no external software was required and CHKDSK did a good job repair that (which I got very surpriced its did). Its property did used the MFT backup, which was still in good shape.

the picture recovertool you used is normally allways on the main dir when you take photos with your camera and it was designed with that in mind. Limited, but works for photos recovery thing, but not on files. That why you dosen't get any filename or dir folders recovered. So you should get a better commercial software, which all worth each thier cents.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

MrTAToad

And dont stick it in the freezer either!

spacefractal

MTF corruption is a software failure, not hardware. That I saw in the first post, those good commercial recovery software should find all/most files and copy to a new drive as the best option. Property found from the backup MTF table and/or scanning all throught the harddrive (which take hours).

I have done that for some friends when that kind of issue have happens. So those software IS very good and its more than those software I used.

If harddrive is broken mechanical, then its much worse..... A proffesional service is required.

Sokurah

Shit, that's not good. :(

I could tell you all about the importance of backing up regularly, but I've lost stuff so many times to harddrive crashes etc. and I haven't learned to do it myself - it's a bother and you just hope that "it won't happen to you" and fell good about that 6 month old backup. Yup, I've been there...and still is.  ::)

In the future, though - whenever you make a backup: don't put it on the same physical drive...but you already know that. ;)

...but first you need something to backup, and I hope you're able to recover everything - or at least the most important bits. I hope this doesn't set you back too much.  :'(
Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware. :-)
Twitter: Sokurah

Wampus

Sokurah get organised for continuous automatic back up to the cloud today! Don't do anything else until its working. It will change potentially crushing disasters to temporary inconveniences. Its also simpler to deal with than physical drive back ups in some ways, though you should do that too.

Kitty, what's the worst, best and most likely case scenario here?  :doubt:

MrTAToad

QuoteMTF corruption is a software failure, not hardware
Thats why you dont stick it in a freezer!  Even if it was a hardware problem, you still wouldn't stick it in a freezer either :)

mentalthink

@Gernnot, I think i go to say a very stupid thing, but I preffer comment than sut up my mouth!!! , I think about the beta testing version, some people of the forum have this version... if resend to you this version, you can open and extract  "things" of these version, I think have to be any of the last... it´s this possible?¿, or I say a huge stupid idea?¿... sorry if this it´s this...

Wampus

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2012-May-19
Thats why you dont stick it in a freezer!  Even if it was a hardware problem, you still wouldn't stick it in a freezer either :)

Apparently you wouldn't download a car either. However, some have tried it (and report success).