Update

Previous topic - Next topic

kanonet

Code (glbasic) Select
//    ASC hat optionalen Index Parameter.
I like this feature! But would it be possible to allow an Index of -1 to access the last char?
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

Zapp

I've never encountered any issues with Sprites and Borders, but then I've not tried to do anything with coloured transparent layers either.

In my code after the background static layer is drawn i set the Alphamode to -1

All my sprites with Transparencies are made in layered PSD files in photoshop. I've always performed the following steps to create PNG files:

Select the layer with the sprite to save out, hide ALL other layers so the background is checkered.
File Menu : "Save for Web & Devices"
In the Window top right options: Preset - PNG-24
Sub Option: Transparency (Ticked)

Then hit save.

you can play around with the bicubic & bilinear settings if you want, but really with Alphamode set to -1 BEFORE you draw transparent sprites for each frame it should work just fine... Not had any issues with the limited Zoomsprite experience so far either.

Give that a try and let me know if you have any problems and where they occurred and I will try to assist.

-Zapp

Kitty Hello

@Qube again, I think it's the background RGB of the alpha part of the image.
See attached image.

I have no idea why the old version was different here. I read all the code but found no difference :(

[attachment deleted by admin]

Crivens

Yeah, try different paint packages. I ditched purple a long time ago because it was glitchy then I found PSP8 was having problems with the alpha channel too. Since switching to PSP9 and a decent icon package (I forget the name) alphas work brilliantly (when combined with ALPHAMODE -1).

Gernot, any thoughts on allowing us to be able to set the default ALPHAMODE value (which is reset a lot by different commands)? We mentioned it a while back but I don't think anything happened.

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

Kitty Hello

The new update sets alphamode only on showscreen.

Crivens

But does it set it back to zero? And it is now 100% certain that once you set to -1 it will only reset to 0 on a showscreen? So we can without no worries put -1 at the start of the game loop, or possibly just after the showscreen?

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

Kitty Hello

That's the plan, yes.

Qube

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2011-Dec-01
@Qube again, I think it's the background RGB of the alpha part of the image.
See attached image.

I have no idea why the old version was different here. I read all the code but found no difference :(

All you've done is taken out the alpha'd edging and made it flat. You can see when it rotates that it now looks jaggy.

I made that sprite exactly like that to demo the issue. I can't say it any simpler than "It's all worked with 10.118"

OK, let's put this into simple terms :

With 10.118 AND previous version my example works perfect.. Versions above 10.118 since the Android RGB stuff do not work! - ergo, SOMETHING has changed and broken :S - Many sprites have alpha'd edges and taking these out results in hard edges, not good.

Gernot, you have to understand that the example worked perfectly and 100% as it should in version 10.118 and previous. What ever happened after 10.118 has broken something and it's not just a state change on the smoothshading command  :'(

Quote from: Crivens on 2011-Dec-01
Yeah, try different paint packages.

I use Photoshop and have done for years without issue. Also without issue from GLB 7 to 10.118.

Kitty Hello

OK, I'll have another go. Maybe I enabled alpha testing .. or disabled it.
Can you compile the example with V10.118 and post it here for me to test? So I can see the differnce?

MrTAToad

This is what its like with 118 and 179

Qube

Thanks for doing the visuals MrTAToad.

As requested, here are the two exe's to match. SS10.118 (all ok) SS10.179 (not so).

Good luck Gernot, hope it's a super easy fix :)

*edit* these are just the exe files - the images are from this post

Qube

GLB 10.191 no fixy alpha issue  :'( - The new ALPHATESTING command doesn't help unfortunately it just ables you to knock out pixels :S

In order for sprite to show smooth and rotate smooth we need the full alpha to be used, not removed. Have you any idea what changed from 10.118 onwards to mess up alpha?

MrTAToad

It should be noted that it only happens when the sprite overlays a 3D object - without the 3D object its okay...

I have also tried a different shape, and that too renders the 3D part as part of the anti-aliasing.

Wampus

Qube, this was said before: -

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2011-Dec-01

MrTAToad, I'm not sure what you mean. Do you have an example screenshot? As far as I can see the same fuzzy border thing impacts v10.191 and it doesn't matter what the sprite is drawn over, background or 3D object. The only time it would look perfect anti-aliased would be if the edge of the sprite's alphablending had the same RGB value as the background.

edit: The screenshot of the red object over the yellow cube shows the same anti-aliasing errors, no?

MrTAToad

Thats right, it does.

But over a non 3D object, anti-aliasing is okay (discounting the extra anti-aliasing that Paint introduces).