TTF - True Type Fonts

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Hello

The attached library can load converted TTF fonts and render them in real time. This gives the option to dynamically scale fonts and use colours.
I've not done any performance tests on mobile devices, yet.

I also attached a tiny command line program that generates the font from your installed ttf files in windows.
Just run:
TTF-create.exe arial
and it will create an arial.glbvf file (GLBasic Vector Font).
Characters 33 to 255 are supported. The font must be available as C:\Windows\Fonts\****.ttf

erico

Nice! Thanks Kitty! :good:
I´m sure going to give a go with it as soon as I finish current project.

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

bigsofty

Thank you Gernot. Very timely as I was current pondering how to support foreign fonts in my game. The answer, not easily. This should give me a decent option.  :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

adaz

Thanks Gernot! Probably it's worth rewriting my font engine in my upcoming game.

Qedo

Thanks Gernot for this font engine.
I ask you if you can increase the font resolution that seems very low as you can see from the image. For example, the letter "g" is not rounded as it should be. Is it possible to work on generating the glbvf file?

Schranz0r

in TTF.gbas:

Code (glbasic) Select

FUNCTION pt2px: pt
// points = pixels * 72 / dpi
STATIC dpi = PLATFORMINFO$("DPI")
RETURN pt / 72.0 * dpi  * 50.0 // this factor is by try/error
ENDFUNCTION

I guess you have to change the DPI in the Editor itself?
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

Qedo

It does not work.
I think it depends on how the font was triagolarized previously in the glbvf file

MrPlow

I haven't tried this yet - but could be very useful for a game I am planning.
On this font system - can the fonts be relocated to the media/fonts/ ?
That way its isn't dependant on the windows setup of the machine?
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

Schranz0r

I guess Gernot use SDL_TTF for it.
He need to change the

Code (glbasic) Select
ttf_rendertext_solid

to

Code (glbasic) Select
ttf_rendertext_shaded

then it's smooth :)
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

Kitty Hello

I must use finer resolution internally. And I also must pre-render the glyphs to a bitmap. It is just to slow in real time.