PowFish - please test for Android and Windows

Previous topic - Next topic

Wampus

PowFish (probably final) Beta

Please test PowFish on your Android device if you have one. The download is here:-

Android version: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WT2KJK4C (full version now released. See Android store)

Let me know if it crashes or is too slow to play on your device. There is a frame counter at the top right of the screen. Let me know if you get the full 60FPS or if it is slower than that. Thanks.  :)

If you don't have an Android device but are curious to try it you could try the Windows version:-

Windows version: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K4CSQBOT (full version now released. Free at my website)

This is most probably the final beta version. Some time today I will finish the High Scores screen and balance out the high scores system, challenges system and game modes a little. If there are any bugs found or suggestions please let me know.

This game should have been done and dusted a year ago! I have trouble finishing things, obviously.  :-[

Marmor

runs on touchpad android  with

60 fps down to 50 fps on the top left  corner .

clx

Initial run of the game took about 10 seconds with a black screen, but after that startup and load was quick. Runs well on HTC Evo 3d at ~55-60fps, doesn't drop below 55. The screen res for the Evo 3d is 540x960, so the game only takes up a portion of the screen on my device. Otherwise it runs well. Great game, good luck with it!

MrTAToad

I wonder if its possible to have a startup graphic (much like the iPhone) ?  Mind you, I've never seen an Android application have one, so it may not be possible.

okee

I get 30 - 37 frames/sec in game, runs nicely with no problems
on an:

orange san fransisco/ zte blade
QuoteCPU:   600 MHz ARM 11 processor, Adreno 200 GPU, Qualcomm MSM7227 chipset
MEMORY: 150 MB storage, 512 MB RAM, 512 MB ROM

Android: Samsung Galaxy S2 -  ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 2
IOS: 2 x Ipod Touch (1G)

Wampus

Sounds good so far.

Quote from: clx on 2011-Nov-28
Initial run of the game took about 10 seconds with a black screen, but after that startup and load was quick. Runs well on HTC Evo 3d at ~55-60fps, doesn't drop below 55. The screen res for the Evo 3d is 540x960, so the game only takes up a portion of the screen on my device. Otherwise it runs well. Great game, good luck with it!

If the app only appears in the top left corner that would worry me but presumably the app sits in the middle of the screen? If it was resized to fit the entire area it wouldn't be ideal on a larger screen.

Wampus

Here is a video preview (of a slightly older version that the download:-

clx

Unfortunately the games screen appears in the top left corner on my device.

how do you handle multiple screen sizes/resolutions for android with glbasic?

Quote from: clx on 2011-Nov-28

If the app only appears in the top left corner that would worry me but presumably the app sits in the middle of the screen? If it was resized to fit the entire area it wouldn't be ideal on a larger screen.
[/quote]

Wampus

Quote from: clx on 2011-Nov-29
Unfortunately the games screen appears in the top left corner on my device.

how do you handle multiple screen sizes/resolutions for android with glbasic?

Darn and blast.

There are some settings in AndroidManifest.xml file in the distribute/Android/ folder that gets created when you compile for Android. The different possible settings and what they do can be found here: http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/supports-screens-element.html

After that is sorted the handling of the multiple screen size / resolution is probably best done by the app itself. Reading GETDESKTOPSIZE will give the values for the resolution that has to be worked with. Because I'm being lazy I was hoping that the app would rescale automatically on any compatible device (Froyo and up). I'll have to look into why that isn't happening. Pity I can't recreate the problem here for testing. :(

clx

I can test future builds for you on my device to get this working if you want.

Wampus

That would be sooooo helpful :) I'll compile a couple tomorrow with different AndroidManifest.xml settings. If you test them and tell me if either of them look different I'd be very grateful.

Wampus

Megaupload is down! :o DNS 'Seizure' Takes Out MegaUpload

So, will have to use box.net for now. Here is another download: http://www.box.com/s/ycr53bp84pucdjqgqqk5 Obsolete, see latest post by me.

That one should, in theory, allow screen compatibility mode. If it doesn't I'll have to include some code to see if the app starts up in compatibility mode, and if not, resize the drawing routines accordingly. I'm reluctant to do this because it will be slower (I think).

Thanks clx for your help

Sixth Sense

:( App appears in the top left of my 7" 2.3 gingerbread (800x400) with both the original and the compatibility mode versions. Second beta seams to start slightly quicker and both versions run at 57 FPS.
Okay, It's been more than ten years now so I confess............I let the dogs out!

Wampus

Gah! Ok, I give in. Android version will launch a little later than iOS and WebOS. I'll add a little extra code to scale up the drawing of the screen without trying to use screen compatibility mode. If the screen width is very large it will put a black border around the edge.

The downside is I'm fairly sure this will reduce the max FPS. Oh well. Nothing's perfect, eh?

Wampus

THIS version of the Android app should work on any resolution, including tiny resolutions (e.g. 240, 320):-

http://www.box.com/s/77y5k5of556c28uu88jb

It will create a box around the playing area if the width exceeds 480 or height exceeds 720. Don't know how / isn't possible to check for pixel density yet so on some very high pixel density screens the app may look small.