XNA dead

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

bigsofty

I have a book on XNA 3 I think, I looked into it at one point. C# was quite nice, reminded me of Delphi in a lot of ways (Pascal was swapped with C++) but never that seriously though. It just never 'clicked' with me. I feel sorry for the devs that were relying on it going forward though.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

mentalthink

I never use XNA, I think it's something easy for programming games... whit Microsoft Enviorement?¿... or Visual Basic...

MrTAToad

Microsoft will need to get a proper game/video SDK up and running quickly - what they should do is start dropping DirectX and just implement OpenGL into the usual Windows SDK

kanonet

Microsoft cant change to OpenGL, this would make porting software (mainly games) to other systems easier, which mean that over time Microsoft would lose users (since gamers would net be bound to windows), which means they would destroy there own user base and profit. Only purpose of DirectX is to keep other Systems at distance.
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

Marmor

Hmm M$ dropped XNA !?
Its hard not to  :D about .

erico

Yep, sad about the devs using it.

I always enjoyed the ABA games, link here:
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/index_e.html
It seems lately he was using XNA to do games.

Anyway, time for microsoft to contact Gernot! :)

doimus

So, if XNA's dead, what's replacing it?

DirectX and C++?

It's interesting to see how virtual machine languages are dying off left and right and everybody is returning to good old native code....

bigsofty

I'll miss the fact that it was using the right-hand coordinate system in its source, this made web based examples a lot easier to use when converting to OpenGL.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Wampus

Quote from: doimus on 2013-Feb-04
So, if XNA's dead, what's replacing it?

DirectX and C++?

It's interesting to see how virtual machine languages are dying off left and right and everybody is returning to good old native code....

Yeah, its funny that native code is basically becoming the winner for cross platform mobile development. And what will replace XNA? Not DirectX and C++. It'll be one of the SDKs that utilise OpenGL and C++. I'm not kidding. Why risk putting so much time and effort learning a Windows only platform when the shifting sands of development are so unpredictable. The cancellation of XNA is a case in point.