Antivirus and Mac

Previous topic - Next topic

Moru

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2009-Nov-13
You cant really go wrong with ESET

Ok, we tried this on my wifes computer. Booted in failsafe mode, started it and let it run the default cleaning. After 12 hours of running during the night it was on the last harddrive (she has a new fast computer and lots of harddrives). Then she notices a line something like this: "possibly virus <some virus name>" action: deleted. Before this he only found loads of files that he says are damaged. We know they are working fine since ages.

There is no logfile, nothing in the virus vault... and there was no questions if you want to delete or not.

We have tried recovering the files but they are nowhere to be found. Needless to say we both quickly removed this from our systems and installed AVG again. I'm ok with a little lower performance if it doesn't delete my packed files just because he THINKS he found some virus in them.

So, be aware that if you use NOD32 / ESET, you might delete important files if you are not very careful of what you do. Never run the default settings for the command-line tool...

trucidare

There are 2 Trojans for mac in the internet. Both requires root access to work and only in fake warez they are hidden.

So you can enable your firewall and filevault and work without viruses and you do not need any antivirus
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

MrTAToad

QuoteSo, be aware that if you use NOD32 / ESET, you might delete important files if you are not very careful of what you do.
It will certainly try if an important file has been infected, although usually it cant actually delete it (because its in use) - are you sure it was an important file ?   And why run it in Safe Mode ? Most anti-virus programs cant run properly in that mode because most important Window services aren't running.

You can see a log file in the Tools option, and tell ESET what to do in Options.

Moru

That's funny, AVG can run just fine in safe mode and usually removes those files avast, norton and so on didn't remove.

There is only one logfile in the program and that one is from a manual scan done in windows earlier (which didn't find any viruses). However a fresh install of AVG found several inactive viruses that ESET didn't pick up. I think I stay with AVG for the moment :-)

MrTAToad

Some can and some can't - it all depends on whether the correct services can run in Safe Mode and how much can run without it.

I'm surprised that ESET missed some thouhj  :blink:

Benjamin

Hi you can try to use ProteMac  NetMine.Itââ,¬â,,¢s firewall for Mac.Itââ,¬â,,¢s tool  protects against viruses and controls all your network.Itââ,¬â,,¢s must be helpful to your. :enc: