Poll: Object orientated capabilities of GLBasic

Previous topic - Next topic

freshworks

But as i mention last, wouldn't it be nice to if it is possible, to call/set properties of prototypes in the functions/methods with THIS.x = and THIS.y = etc...

So then you can write functions/methods within a prototype and set the properties of it with THIS. so no need to pass the whole prototype anymore. Only thing / problem probaly would be that you need  a pointer to an object, how are you gonna handle that gernot  :P

cheers,
Jespar

Hemlos

Quote from: freshworks on 2009-Nov-23
Only thing / problem probaly would be that you need  a pointer to an object, how are you gonna handle that gernot  :P

cheers,
Jespar

PROTOYPE GLBasic_Developer2.0: Kitty_Hello( Object="Clone" , His.Family.Wouldnt.Know , Duplicate("Kitty_Hello") )

Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

FutureCow

I'm REALLY glad Gernot is against it, as other people have said one thing I love about GLBasic is that is ISN'T OOP. I don't code for a career and OOP is a mindset that you have to constantly work in to be comfortable in it - as a non-career programmer I am not in that mindset. Yes there are times when OOP excels, but for most of the time for the scale of projects I think most people are working in here, procedural will do just fine.
Procedural coding is also easy for everyone to understand, beginners and experts alike. Introduce OOP and you'll see people wanting help on the forums getting confused when others send them back an answer that's in OO format that's a lot more complex than its procedural counterpart.

Let's keep the basic in GLBasic.