iVCL is in 'New & Noteworthy' medical section of apps store

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnus

shawnus

the iVCL is an iphone app converted (by bigsofty) from my original VCL (virtual cath lab) done in Blitz3d.

Its a fluoroscopy simulator- basically the purpose of the software is to transfer the learning curve associated with taking x rays to a virtual environment, thereby eliminating unnecessary radiation dose to both staff and patients.

The VCL and iVCL are accredited by the College & Society of Radiographers (UK) to support learning objectives & is free!

Cheers, Shawn

acristo

That is an amazing acomplishment. Congratulations for both of you.   :good: lets celebrate !!  :booze:

Kitty Hello

Wohoooo! That's the 30.000 polygons @ 30 FPS example, btw!

matchy

Very good application and I think this is not far off from a compact virtual remote control concept.

bigsofty

Very pleased how well it turned out. The biggest surprise was the latent power of the GLBasic 3D engine. For the iPhone, it renders very quickly, much quicker than our Unity mock up.

No external libraries, other than the the ones that are built into GLBasic Premium, were used.

Cheers,

Ian
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Slydog

Quotemuch quicker than our Unity mock up.

30,000 Poly's per second! Wow.
If I recall, Unity's limit is around 9,000 per second.
(Depending on various other details).
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

bigsofty

Quote from: Ocean on 2010-Aug-06
My hat's off to you guys, congratulations!

How did you achieve that polycount with that framerate, likely using native GL display lists?

cheers
Ocean

Careful design mainly. There was only a very small piece of inline C and it had nothing to do with the graphics. Fortunately most of the GLBasic mesh rendering uses Vector Buffor Objects, which are faster than Display Lists. Avoiding anything that required two passes was pretty much a pre requisite on the Iphone too, shadows for example. Lots of little tweaks here and there, mainly with the lighting and grouping of objects, when a rotation or translation was called for. I spent quite lot of time on code optimization, much more than I would have on a desktop target but I suppose this is part of the fun when developing for a mobile platform!  :S

Cheers,

Ian
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Hatonastick

My hat's off to you too! :)  Actually that's pretty cool.
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

Hark0

WOW!

Downloaded and tested on ipad(2x) and iphone(native res).

Works perfectly!

Congratulations about your work!
;)
http://litiopixel.blogspot.com
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic

shawnus

I'd like to see it on an ipad at some point- in fact I have heard Stanford have switched all med students to ipads so its definitely something to consider.

It seems to work slightly faster on my wife's iphone 4 than on my touch but not very noticeable.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Cheers, Shawn

Hemlos

Wow you guys are putting GLBasic on the map  :good:
CongratS!

Very impressive.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O