compile to iphone issue, probably v simple error

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnus

Apologies for the first of I imagine many iphone questions- I have compiled a project in GLB using (I believe) the correct compile settings. I have moved the xcode over to the mac & tried to open the project in xcode but get the message:'iphone xcode project cannot be opened because the project file cannot be parsed'.

I wonder if it would please be possible for someone to put me right or point me in the direction of any documentation that might assist?

What I have done is to take an existing project file (very kindly done for me by a member of this user community) and basically renamed the project. I did not create the project 'from scratch'.

Kind regards, Shawn

bigsofty

Try removing all non-alphanumeric characters from the project name and program name... no spaces, underscores etc.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

shawnus

Thanks Ian- I see my plan to take these questions to the forum to give you a rest from my constant badgering has backfired slightly!

Kitty Hello

Will be substituted by underscore character in V8 when editing the string.

shawnus

Hi again all,

Ian, that guidance was successful- thanks! However...

Have done some thorough testing here. When I try to change a part of the code within the project files (this time the 'help' file) and re-compile I get a windows error message "MakeApp.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. Apologies...etc".

I have only made a very small change- just repositioning the help sprite, although any change in any part of the code followed by a re compile generates this error.

So at the moment I cant seem to change the code in any way- any suggestions or workarounds appreciated. Please.

Kind regards, Shawn

trucidare

Ignore this error. Compiling was successful.
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

shawnus

Hi, I am sure you are correct, however when I try to build in xcode I get this:

GDB: Program received signal: "EXC_BAD_ACCESS"

right at the very end as well!

I have had a bit of a fiddle again this morning, trying to re name the project, creating a new project and copying across the 'original' program files (that time I just get 'build:0 succeeded' without anything on the screen).

Just to summarise:

- I have had a project built & sent to me- this compiles fine in GLB and also builds in xcode.
- I can replace the media in this project with my own (whilst obviously keeping the original filenames)- this compiles fine in GLB and also builds in xcode.
- when I alter any part of the code in this project, subsequent GLB builds to xcode generate the 'MakeApp.exe' error and subsequent build in xcode to the iphone results in 'exc_bad_access'.

Am I missing something very fundamental here - I believe I have followed the build instructions very carefully?

Kind regards, Shawn

bigsofty

Things to try Shawn,

1) Take a big step backwards and revert back to the original working project. Alter your piece of code, leaving the original media intact. Compile and run. This will tell you if the problem is located in the media or the code.

2) Completely delete your XCode folder within your GLBasic project folder (you will need to copy the media across again, once the initial compile is complete). Before linking on the Mac, Clean the project (Removes previous build caches) within XCode.

3) Avoid the use of JPEGS, I removed all references to them as they can cause a real nasty bug.

4) Use MAC stubs (iDEBUG) to locate your error line.

5) Double check all paths and filenames, as a wrong one would produce the EBA error.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

shawnus

Hi Ian,

Ok thanks Ill try again this evening.

I have already done 5, dont use 3 & partly tried 2 (although I assumed that there is only 1 cache and not multiple ones per project as I generally alternate successful (ie your) builds with unsuccessful (ie my modifications to your project) builds and they all go across to the iphone ok, although only mine generate the error).

Cheers, Shawn

trucidare

to help you we need the whole gdb log.
only this one line could be everything.
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

MrTAToad

Are you sure that you are using the correct version (and type) of XCode ?

matchy

2b) Always clean project (menu Build/Clean) when changing media and delete the icon on the iPhone to remove documentsdir$ files.  ;)

Is there some code as it could relate to "EXC_BAD_ACCESS"?!  :P

MrTAToad

What version of GLBasic are you using ?  MakeApp shouldn't crash, nor should XCode whilst compiling, so it's possible the resulting project is invalid for some reason.

We could do with the compile project to test too...

shawnus

OK. After some extensive testing, starting from Ian's (1) recommendation as a starting point:

1. - I can keep the 'old code' and replace the original media with mine.
2. - I can successfully alter the code but need to keep the original media in place.
3. - I no longer get the MakeApp error message in GLB.
4. - I have done the pipe cleaning as per Matchy's recommendation.

Whichever way I go forward from 1 & 2 I get the 'exc bad access'.

I bought a mac around 6 weeks ago specially for this & downloaded the latest versions of everything (I think- xcode, v3.2.2, GLB v7.301).

I have around 15 years experience 'part time fiddling' in basic (darkbasic, blitz3d) and a few other things but I dont mind saying I am utterly beaten by this, I have spent hours on this & got nowhere with it, really. I think the problem is the whole GLB/Mac/xcode/app store process is a little challenging & I am having trouble finding the time to deal with it all, as well as keep updating my current PC project.

Anyway, enough moaning, I am at this stage more than happy to send the project to anyone who thinks they can deal with what is probably a silly little error on my part if anyone might be in a position to help?

Kind regards, Shawn

Qube

Hi, Shawnus,

Very strange problems. I'll happily look at what's causing your issue if you want to email over the project :) - email address is dave@puzzlebox-games.co.uk