64 Bit Support Required Feb 2015..

Previous topic - Next topic

spacefractal

Xcode 6 still Can deploy to my old iPad 1, which is iOS5....
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

mrplant

Just a small point I just remembered regarding support for the older devices..

Get your apps approved now. That way you can take advantage of the "download the last version of this app that works with your device" feature of the app store where it lets users download older versions than the current of your app.

A useful workaround meantime?

MrPlow

Smells of Apple trying to push away 3rd party development beyond indies...I mean its not very indie-friendly to keep buying and updating devices and development libraries etc...

I will need to reconsider my iOS plans for the moment...
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

Ian Price

QuoteI mean its not very indie-friendly to keep buying and updating devices and development libraries etc...
Apple has never been developer friendly. Just look at all the hoops you have to jump through to get anything on one of their machines, starting with only using their hardware, having to have a developer license, then certificates and provisioning, then XCode and finally the upload tool (ignoring the Review process and wait for it to go live). Then look at webOS. Or even Android. Or any other platform - ever. Even Nintendo, typically stryngent with their developer policies don't force devs to go through anything like that nowadays (they even offer loaner devices, as do other dev portals including Sony and Microsoft. Apple doesn't).

I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

Btw its not that hard as you thinks and even kids have could code for it and the new Swift language is the right direction for Apple for indie support really. Actuelly its have been easier in the recent years, even its is still annoying about the code signing issues. But in the other side, im have 3 games for iOS, all got approvede with xCode 6. So xCode 6 is not a issue at all.

Also xCode 6 older supported version seens to been iOS 5.1 or around here. Im can still test it on my that old iPad 1 using xCode 6. Im do even thinks 3gs is still supported in xCode 6 too.

Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

bigsofty

Thinking of dropping iOS altogether personally, tired of hoop jumping. I've never been able to afford the development equipment necessary, I ebay for older Macs(I've 2 of them now). It was gauling that I had to buy a 2nd Mac because Apple decided that people should no longer be able to compile 64bit code on a 32bit CPU(you can do it on an 8bit CPU + 64bit compiler if you wanted to). Annual payments for devs, when Apple takes a cut already from the AppStore is annoying. Forcing the use of ObjC/Swift in an attempt to isolate devs from the rest of general dev community is annoying.

IMHO in general indie devs built Apple, their hardware is nice(but no longer unique) but the bedrock of the AppStore is the massive amount of apps supplied by us. I just don't think Apple respects its indie devs anymore but if they were all to disappear off of planet earth tomorrow, Apple would die off soon after.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Ian Price

I never said it was hard, I just said you HAVE to jump through Apple's hoops. And they aren't as straight forward as you make them seem - there are forums filled with questions about certificates and provisioning and books to help people get through the whole process.

It's not XCode in itself that's the issue - it's HAVING to use XCode after you've got your code up and running.

Apple have not done anything to make the situation easier for devs - and that's ignoring the deliberate obfuscation of devices and the multiple resolution issues (I know that's something that plagues Android too with some very obscure sizes with/without the menu bar).

Swift is indeed a step in the right direction, but it seems a little too late to me.
I came. I saw. I played.

MrPlow

Apple want a closed-shop so that they wont have to depend on indie devs...I dont know if they make more money on apps or music...but they are loosing the run of themselves.

I havent Apple-bashed in a while but thats gonna change soon.

Making users compile with Apple-only is just a cheap trick to force Windows users to convert over...and build up the tech talent for Apple.

I heard you cant even delve into the nuts and bolts of the new MacOS Mavericks? Apple wont let you...they despise hackers and adapters etc.
Comp:

spacefractal

Generally me thinks, about 90-95% of apps would not been have a issue with this new requirement at all. Those which have a issue often only require few addition days of code to get it working.

xCode as requirement can annoying, but most issues did have got fixed. But there is also requirements with Android as well (Java and adb hell). WebOS was only system that escaped some of the issue, but its was newer sold in Denmark. That why its was HP Touchpad im got, because im knew im could install Android sooner or later (here its was installed such, im could uses both system, today WebOS is sadly wiped). My main system is still iOS and countinue to been that (yes of course im have brought the new iPhone 6, upgraded from a iPhone 4s).

But lucky my Ultimo 2009 Mac still works with Yosemite (the newest osX). Its a quite little slow today, but does works as intended. Yosemite is a free upgrade, so there is no reason not to upgrade it today. This was also one of the previous issue as well, which costed money each time they upgraded.

Ian Price

To be fair to Android - Java is an important aspect of many plug-ins and online applications and adb is not necessary at all to deploy to Android devices.

None of the other OS's require you to buy an over-priced, under-specced name brand machine and to me, that's the biggest *love*-over by Apple. Although obviously if you have a large disposable income or sell lots of apps this is a non-issue, as are all points for all systems.

By all accounts Yosemite is Apple's version of Vista or Windows 8... The comments I'm reading about it (even if it is free) are not too complimentary.

Anyway, the move to 64Bit was expected and a step in the right direction, I think.

As for TouchPad - I finally bit the bullet and installed Android on mine last week (dual boot option though, although I doubt I'll ever go back to webOS).
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

for me adb is very much necessary for me, due logcat is so important. Logcat is the main reason im could do Android Extras. This is only feedback im can get when thing go wrong. Its simply so important due that. Recently im even removed all inapp purchases from my Android apps, due the stupid physical requirement exsponded to the public. That is not indie friendly at all.

Yes  Yosemite  have been redesigned using a quite flat design. Actuelly im do like that, but have not checked that that much. Its not my main OS at all. But finally they fixed the annoying jumping icons in that OS, which is pretty nice. Im do not have plans to purchase a new Mac, and a near 5 years is a quite long time to have one without have changed its hardware.

Yes even this requirement is a bit annoying, im do understand why they want to get thier apps to support the new processors.

Ian Price

Quotedue the stupid physical requirement exsponded to the public. That is not indie friendly at all.
Yeah, that's pissed off a fair few indies, that's for sure, although the potential for negative activity as a result seems minimal to me - most indie apps are less than five dollars/pounds/euros; I doubt anyone is going to take it upon themselves to visit the developer or send something nasty through the post for such limited amounts. I know there are idiots out there, but the risk is small IMHO.

I'm more concerned about Google's general practice than displaying my name and address to everyone on the net.
I came. I saw. I played.

MrPlow

The address is not only for inapps - if you have ANY paid apps inapp or paid then its required.

I have a happy work around - I use a coworking space and used my office address there.  :)

My issue is the ad agency crowds pestering me to skype them and accept their calls.
I think some might have the cheek to turn up at the office.
Comp:

erico

Now there is a good thing about living in Brasil, no one is going to visit me whether my app is good or not.

But I suspect some of my friends might take it as an excuse to show up.
The thrills of living in a tropical island...strangely, everyone remembers and misses me when summer is around. ;/

Kitty Hello

OK. The background is this: I need to compile the GLB code to a library and link that in XCCode later. For x64 libs I need a new compiler. The Apple GCC versions are however not easy to build on Windows. Our 32 bit compiler is close to be a miracle. Trucidare invested lots of time to build it.
I fear I reached a dead end finally.
Propably focusing on HTML5 is the most future safe way. No idea.
I'm so sorry for this bad news.

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk