The "Design That Adventure/RPG" thread.

Previous topic - Next topic

HamishTPB

It seems that my idea for a modular system would be doomed to fail on the hand held systems because of wasted resources. Having said that there is no harm in building a modular source-based RPG where the maker of the individual adventure could optimise the built game for final play.
Hamish The PolarBear
GP2X F-100 :: *Broken* Caanoo :: GNU/Linux :: Android 7" Tablet :: Android 10" Tablet :: Android Phone

erico

Quote from: HamishTPB on 2014-Jun-06
... a modular system would be doomed to fail on the hand held systems because of wasted resources...

You sure? what do you mean by that?

HamishTPB

The ideas I had for a modular system would basically have an engine with resources to handle every possible game resource (characters, enemies, NPCs, hand-hand weapons, ranged weapons, spells/technology, locations, objects(treasure chest/computer terminal/old west piano) and every possible action (how resource x affects resource y) to allow the freedom for one system to be a dungeon crawler or a space epic. Updates to the engine would add more resources as a game required them, this would probably lead to a bloated system.  :puke:

This is only if it is to be completely end-user modular. Like I say, having a similar system to what I envisaged but with a build-time optimisation would still allow savvy users to make their own adventures.  :good:

Given the target market, making an end-user modular system will probably not be worth it compared to the effort of making it. If something gets a bit of notice and it seems to be worthwhile to make a commercial version then that would change things but as it is, the time is probably best spent making the actual games and reusing the code where possible for the next adventure.

The RPG idea is not "next on the list" of things to make anyway - I want to walk before I start running and do some simpler games to get myself back into the swing of coding and get used to what I need to do to optimise and adjust for different target platforms. Most of my ideas live for a long time before becoming active projects - there are notebooks full of stuff and I just add to them when I have an idea for that project, even if it is not immediately feasible to work on it. There are a lot of games to get out of my system on the pages of those books  :P
Hamish The PolarBear
GP2X F-100 :: *Broken* Caanoo :: GNU/Linux :: Android 7" Tablet :: Android 10" Tablet :: Android Phone

HamishTPB

The idea is not confined to here of course: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/16251-a-pyra-game-in-development/

Perhaps, especially given the size of such a project, a collaboration would be more fruitful. I suppose that is why erico made this topic.

EDIT: The thought also occurs that there may be some suitable engine(s) already ported to the hand-helds to make adventures for, also making better use of time and ideas but none of the ones I have looked at have been of the flavour I wanted (that Dungeon Master/Xenomorph style). There are a lot of projects out there and open-source means that something abandoned or unfinished can be picked up too. One way or another I will get my adventures to the GP2X/Wiz/Caanoo and Pandora communities :-)
Hamish The PolarBear

HamishTPB

Erico: I hope you don't think I am trying to put you down or be unnecessarily negative, I am just trying to keep myself in check and not get too excited or too far ahead of myself.  :whip:

I want to avoid starting projects that just become vapourware  :puke:

Hugs for Erico :)
Hamish The PolarBear

erico

Oh no it is fine. I just didnt have time to properly answer yet. Im away from home for a few days. Looking for new house. So time is short.

I thought this thread to be more of  idea and discussions on the subject since lots of people here have adventures ideas foing about.

I asked about the system because everyrhing i put on cannoo works nice. I dont see a reason your system could not make it into.

I will better answer as i move to new house. Right now it is a mess here for at least a week.

spacefractal

as for the hires guns. This was acutelly a SP game, where you controlled all players by your self and me thinks was designed in that way. For networking play, synchronization is often the biggest issue for network games (there often cause lags if you are not aware of that). This is not a issue on a local gameplay at all, but that could works quite very nice for example on Ouya and GameStick.

For control, mouse could also just been controlled with the joypad if required, if its not a 100% action game.

Xybots did have turns animation in the arcades, never seen in any home ports as im are aware of, but its was a fun maze game, and could been fun to do a remake of as a 3d game, but with same gameplay.

Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

matchy

Quote from: spacefractal on 2014-Jun-10
For networking play, synchronization is often the biggest issue for network games (there often cause lags if you are not aware of that).
I feel that's a topic for a whole new thread and is something that concerns me in general design. Although for an A/RPG, turn based would be more suitable. Even to the effect of using simple web get and posts for data if need be rather than pushing/pulling realtime tcp/ucp packets for action games.  :whistle: Unlike MUDs and choose your own adventure, do multiplayer adventure network games exist?

erico

Agreed. It doea interest me pretty much. Here i would like to a simple odds/even hand numbera type game just to get an idea of where to start exactly since i have completly zero notion on how/where to start.

erico

Hark0

IMHO the most difficult task of RPG game are the formula combats and balancing stats of hero, enemys, etc...

I need some help about this....

Any good tutorial ?
http://litiopixel.blogspot.com
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic

nabz32

Quote from: Hark0 on 2014-Jun-17
IMHO the most difficult task of RPG game are the formula combats and balancing stats of hero, enemys, etc...

I need some help about this....

Any good tutorial ?

Had the same Problem when trying to get formulas down for this too.
My approach:
1. The player / Enemy needs basic stats that grow with EXP ( those stats can only be permamently changed )
2. Only Items can Offset the Primary stat values temporary

Code (glbasic) Select

function getPrimaryStat: i as int // i is the type of stat (ie.: 0 : strength, 1: stamina ... )

return Player.stats[ i ] + Player.equip.statOfs[ i ]
// + Player.tempEffect[ i ] for holding temporary changes that result in using an item
// (ie. strength potion )
endfunction
// you could also use getAttack as function name and return Player.attack + Player.attackOf
// so the code is better readable, however way more functions are needed then
// the Player.equip[ i ].statOfs[ i ] is the sum of all equiped items primari stat offsets.
// So making a list of stat values and corresponding stat names is important.

3. Based on those stats calculate secondary stats like attack , def 
( all the stats that can be changed temporary by equiping items )

4. Items Hold only secondary stats and offsets for primary stats

5. All those stats Items hold will be added together using a function and stored in a list for each entity that can equip items.

6. So a secondary stat like attack can be calculated like this
Code (glbasic) Select

function getSecondaryStat: i as int
return Player.equip.stats[ i ] + getPrimaryStat( i )
//return all items added attack stats + Player strength stat + item strength offset
// of course you can calculate the strength stat as a percentual value to a Max Strength value //marking 100% of strength ( 100% can be exceeded ) and multiply it with the items added attack //stats:
return Player.equip.stats[ i ] * ( getPrimaryStat( i ) ) / MaxStat[ i ] )
endfunction

7. then this secondary stat ( ie. attack ) can be used to calculate damage, based on the enemys secondary stat ( ie. defense ) , his element...

This resulted by the following needs:
-Primary stats should only be calculated each Lvl up, beacause I wanted the player to decide on his grow type almost freely ( also dependant on his class ) each level up.
-I didn´t want to limit any stat to certain item types.