"Karma Miwa" for iOS, Android, Ouya (released), homeage for Snokie.

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

Here some tests. Tell me what you think space.
Both mine(based on Ian´s :P) and Ian´s original design are present.

They don´t quite match the background style yet, the black and white part will be simple color degradees, no texture, so it looks 2d and vector kind.
But it looks fun already so I better show it. They do fit well on the original sprite sizes (384 x 576) but on the mock they are probably wrong size.

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

kanonet

OMG I wish i had your graphic skills! Very nice.

BTW I love how this community is helping each other, too bad im a too bad artist to be of any help here. :(
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

erico

Quote from: kanonet on 2013-Nov-03
OMG I wish i had your graphic skills! Very nice.

You do!

That is the only thing I can help back, my code is like an untamed chainsaw.
Here is a more degradee matching version.

The feet are a bit on the weird side, if the body and style is fine, the idea is to add a bit on the frame count.

erico

r0ber7

erico

Thanks everyone!

I hope last ones are akin to what spacefractal needs. :good:
It has been quite fun to try the vector look out of a 3d model.

mentalthink

Those models are really cool!!! very very good, I like them a lot!!

erico

Thanks mental, they are quite low poly too, but can be sub-patched to an eternal amount of polygons. The degradee texture is a 2048x2048 image, so that can also hold a really big final sprite of similar size if needed.

edit: camera lenses need more millimiters for a more flat tele-objective look, will look into that later.

mentalthink

In fact I refert to the desing the flat colors and the eyes are really nice, but the model it's really really cutie, about apply subdivision in 2D doens't matter, and in 3D I think the model in low poly can be totally funcional, if you put the camea a bit far, and apply the normal Smooth, the model can be very good for a platform game... I like a lot  :booze: :booze: :booze:

spacefractal

EDITED:

Wow, I'm love them and 3d is so cool. I'm not home yet, so only looked on phone. I'm comment when im home. looked now on iPad and the only issue is Im love both birds and the tunned version is great as well (even its might require more work, but its close). So I'm can't dedicate which one to use, since I'm like both of them very much.

Im also gonna thinks its could been a runaway friend, rather using a mom end of each level. So a setting is simply those birds is friends. A simple picture could show som play around between both birds, and also its could been trapped a little bit different way when you see him.

The finished version should sent trought email or dropbox, but its very nice to show the wips here as well (which im does my self of course). The sprite sheet is 768x432, but can been bigger in the end, if you need more frames to the animation. Its up to you for number of frames as well animation speed. Im have made a mini editor to that (which im also can send to you as well). For enemies, you can change frames as well speed by your self.

Ian and Erico have both got a alpha version of the game by pm (howover the screnshot used here was not retina for bird, but its 3d, so easy to double the size).
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

Ok, I haven´t look into dropbox yet, will soon.

Maybe you could use both versions in game, either alternating them storywise like you proposed or use one for easy and another for hard levels?
I will try some animations with them these days.

The other sprites should be easier to produce than the main hero.
I´m glad you liked them.

It would be nice if they flapped wings while sliding down, like birds trying(and failling) to fly.

spacefractal

Slide is possible to animate. I'm just diddent use for the temp sprite.

There is a big bird (mom) in end of each level, but it's could been the other bird instead, which ran away or got trapped and make them as friends.

Using one for the easy diffulcity could make seance, because it's scroll and run slower. Ther we could just see the other bird trapped end of the level.

So could been fun to uses them, so we have two heroes instead of one: a slow and a faster one. The slow one could jump slightly higher mightbeen.

Ps. Which kind of bird was you drawing? I'm still like it.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

BdR

Quote from: erico on 2013-Nov-04
These ones are more tunned.
Wow, those sprites look so cool. :good: Which program did you use? AC3D or Povray or 3D Studio or Rhinoceros 3D?

Can you animate this 3D model, like some simple animation for example turning 180 degrees etc.? Because when you can make a prerendered spritesheet (like Donkey Kong Country) you usually get a very cool and smooth looking sprites. I mean compared to just vector art or 2D hand drawn.

erico

@BdR

I used lightwave 3d and photoshop. (that 3d can be done on any package)
Yep, that is one of the advantages, can render eternal amount of sprites virtually any size this way.
It is pretty much similar to what a vector program can do but with the benefits of an extra dimension.

Light and shadow is also playing no goal here (there are no lights on this scene) and such render is pretty much the same as you would get from an open gl 3d display.
The textures are simple degrades/color ramps done in photoshop, one sideways another top-down.

This can be animated in many ways, but the simplest case is to create a set of keyframes for the required positions and a few endomorphs(similar to warp) for the body and then mix it all up. Bone and rigging could also do the job but it is really not necessary on this case.

Quote from: spacefractal on 2013-Nov-05
Ps. Which kind of bird was you drawing? I'm still like it.

They are all supposed to be kid Puffins I guess, I collected a bunch of reference pictures here for it but I agree they don´t fully match on some smaller details, like the beek needs more details and the black part should close on the neck (like the appended pic).

Taking an umbiased look and showing it to friends, people think my version is more close to a parrot or that bird from the animated movie RIO, I also referenced a bit the bird from snoopy (woodstock). Ian´s design feels closer to a penguin and reminds me of penguin kun wars.