"Karma Miwa" for iOS, Android, Ouya (released), homeage for Snokie.

Previous topic - Next topic

spacefractal

Anders, which diddent have the time for the game, did also commented Ericos original bird "cute". He have still not see the puffin version as well. So im thinks im more more keen to uses that as the hero, but im pretty sure iAns puffin just can been used as his best friend, due im do like him too.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

It is a great idea to use both birds as mates and as hard/easy modes. It should add to the game longevity. 2 heros are better then one  ;)

spacefractal

im just got the sprite sheet for the first bird and now im need to get him to work correctly in the game, which take few days.

Here is a snapshot from a basic implement of him (far using all frames, but workable):

Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

yep, lots of frames for each bird! (65 each) :D
Finished Ian´s design now, and I hope he forgives me that I did stretch it a bit vertically to fit original sprite size.

His design is really great, it takes xps to do that in so little amount of pixels.
I messed with the 3d core models a bit to thin up the top part of the beek so to look better when facing camera.

I also did play the game a few times today to try catch the animation speed (spatial), game is playing really cool and smooth, I particularly love the scroll routines, player´s movement and jump arc, well done! :good:

mentalthink

65 FRames for model?¿... it's a lot , ins't?¿...
I always use 24 and for a walkcycle it's enough... Well I only count a walkcycle to a only one direction...

I likt to see the penguins making things  :)

erico

There are 15 frames for the walking cicle (one way), 17 considering the ill frame at start and end.
It is a bit too much, but it moves as butter that way ;)

They go this way:

walking
S---I---I---I---E
0   4   8   12  16

each (---) can be reduced to just the center (-) so to speed up animation if needed. Worst case scenario could use just the (I) frames.
(S)tart and (E)nd key frames are the idle sprite.

edit: 65 frames for all actions, running, jumping, falling, dying, blinking...these birds buggie!! :)

erico

Quote from: kanonet on 2013-Nov-03
...BTW I love how this community is helping each other, too bad im a too bad artist to be of any help here. :(

Needs that extra age count to be able to handle art! :P :P :P

spacefractal

Greedy mouse used 100 frames in 3 part images to create that mouse, so 65 frames is nice. Using 1024x1024 texture we can uses 70 frames and could even move the death to own texture size.

It's animate very smooth. Just tobad I'm forget to replace the old hero.png in Dropbox. Will do that when home, I'd you don't do the first hehe.

Scrolling was a bit nightmare due 16:9 and 4:3 support example.

erico

The walking cicle on my avocado game has 2 frames...and one is the idle frame :D (edit:and it works both ways!)

kanonet

Quote from: erico on 2013-Nov-08
Quote from: kanonet on 2013-Nov-03
...BTW I love how this community is helping each other, too bad im a too bad artist to be of any help here. :(

Needs that extra age count to be able to handle art! :P :P :P
WOW! It just took you 5 days to answer, very fast for an old man! :nana:
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

spacefractal

hehe.

Anyway here is Ians bird in action:

So Ian, if you doing more Sketch, im will like to see that.

Im gonna think not should uses antialasing, so its better march the background (which im removed them). Its doint that later.

Ian Price

I prefer the feet from the other bird, but both birds look great in-game. Perhaps erico could try the other feet on my bird?

I only left them as they were because your original idea was monochrome. If I'd known you were going for a coloured bird I would have changed the "feet". The character was actually planned to be wearing trainers, kind of like "Tiki" in "The New Zealand Story" -

I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

me and Anders have talked extractly the same about feets. So im thinks this would been a nice idea to uses the same feets from the first bird, but keep the rest of the form. This would also look more a friends heroes.

Its could property walk the same trought.

erico

Yep, I can substitute feet. Will give a try so we get the feeling.

Personally I prefer Ian´s design and I´m comfortable with those feet, they pass a better feeling of ´walking´ or ´jumping´, gets the character on ground.
Mine is really small and slides a bit, there are no legs. We have to see if Ian´s bird will be fine with an orange feet too.

Will do a screen shot later today.

Tiki is awesome, a nice reference!

Quote from: kanonet on 2013-Nov-08
WOW! It just took you 5 days to answer, very fast for an old man! :nana:

Yep, it is an elder man thing, we have to keep kids on constant tension. :D

spacefractal

funny, anders do like the orange feets, and im like those too. Im do thinks its due we now uses full colors when was not originnaly planed. howover im have just fixed the height placement of the sprite, so its not moonwalk to height over the ground anymore. That helped a lots and looks much better when its on ground now.

Yes im was not aware around Tiki shared the same feet, hehe.