3D Land Editor

Previous topic - Next topic

gavendortt

Hi!

I'm new to GLBasic ( ~2 weeks ) and I falled in love.  =D

But now, I play with 3D since 4~5 days and I'm stuck with my game.  :sick:
I dont know how to create my land. I can create my models with Blender, esport it with UV Map and draw it correctly in GLBasic, I think I can use Newton for the physic, etc. But I dont know how to create my world. What can I do?

Do I create my own 3D Map Builder? How?
Does already exist one for GLBasic?
What is that DDW format who is only nammed one time in the help?

Thank you for your help.  :good:

PS : Sorry for my English, I'm talking French!

Quentin

first: welcome here :)

I think you can try to build your world with Blender too. Found one tutorial for it

http://www.linuxgraphic.org/section3d/blender/pages/didacticiels/paysages/index-ang.html

in ddw files you can combine more than one ddd-model and the corresponding textures for them. You can load them with X_LOADOBJ and display with X_DRAWOBJ. This can save many calls for for X_LOADOBJ and X_SETTEXTURE. There was one good example from Schranzor in which the use of ddw-files was shown ... (will try to find it again)

Also there is one example from Gernot on how to create landscapes with build in commands of GLBasic.

gavendortt

Thanks fr the welcome!  :)

I already see that page for Blender, but it's useless for me. I explain; I need to completely create the world, to place static object, monster, etc. And thanks for the DDW infos. It's me who have to write it, then!

But where is the exemple?

Quentin

creating a 3D landscape from a height map is described here with a small example

http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=673.0

still have to look for the ddw example ...

[EDIT]
just found it, see attachment (it's an example from Schranz0r)

somewhere in the forum I've read that the 3D Convert tool should also be able to create ddw-files from 3ds files, but I've never tested this.

[attachment deleted by admin]

doimus

Quote from: gavendortt on 2009-Aug-24

I already see that page for Blender, but it's useless for me. I explain; I need to completely create the world, to place static object, monster, etc. And thanks for the DDW infos. It's me who have to write it, then!

As I understand, you need a World Editor, with GUI and all that, such as UnrealED, right? Where you load objects, place them using the graphical interface, assign scripts, etc...

In that case - no, GLB does not offer such thing. You could write it yourself, but I guess that kind of defies the purpose of GLB.
If you REALLY want GUI, there are other solutions out there.

gavendortt

Yea, much like UnrealED, or TESC of Morrowind. But I also have to made the terrain.
But I'm searching if there is already one who can do the job, because I don't have 24h/24 of free time in my day!  ;/
But what is your "Other solution"?

doimus

I was referring to other, more visually oriented engines out there. There is sh*tload of them, just google it. None of them is as easy as GLB, as they mainly use C#, Lua, Javascript or other proprietary script languages. But if you really NEED that kind of 3D interaction, you can try it.

gavendortt

Oh no! I want GLBasic!  =D
Thanks for the help, I will try to find one or create one myself.  :sick: