Isometric look - can be freely rotated

Previous topic - Next topic

Wampus

Isometric look pseudo 3D 'engine'

You can download the example app here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/sr8z51bbwe8d96f/isometricdemo.app.zip

Left click and hold while moving the mouse to adjust view. Right click and hold while moving the mouse to rotate the view. Use the mouse wheel to zoom in or out.

I wrote this last night for fun after I had the idea about how it could be done. The whole scene is rendered with polyvectors and a little trigonometry math. Surfaces aren't drawn if they're covered up by other surfaces.

Since I can't think of anything to use it for that couldn't be done better in normal 3D or rendered isometric look bitmaps I probably won't ever use this for anything or develop it further. If anyone can think of a good use for this kind of look please let me know. :)

MrTAToad

Its rather good - and could be quicker than using 3D on devices like the Android.   Any chance of releasing the source code ?

Albert

Source code please!

Tapatalk 2-vel küldve az én GT-I9000-ről

mentalthink

Wampus how make the isometric camera... I have troubles whit the ortho command of OpenGL... always I have an error like @24XXX or something like this... I read something about this you have to add a link to the compilder... but not works for me...

Good work!!!, the Isometric view , it´s very nice for some games, and very useful in applications...

I hope you release the code  :nw: :nw: :nw: :nw:

Wampus

mentalthink I skipped using OpenGL and did the calculations in code instead. Since you and others have asked I'll upload the code into the snippets section once I've finished a business call.

Be aware that the code was done in a rush. There isn't much notation, there are a few duplicitous or unnecessary calculations and the zooming and rotating control is currently a hack rather than true zooming and rotation. There are also many things it doesn't do. For example, there is no function to translate screen co-ordinates to world co-ordinates. Still, I hope someone finds it useful.

erico

Gasp! Amazing! And it moves smoothly with no glitches or anything, just perfect!
Such engine has a lot of potential, congratulations.

Slydog

Incredible!   :good:
It is very smooth!

How did you do the shading when a face rotates away from the 'camera'?
Did you just apply a shading factor based on how directly the face is towards the camera, then pass that factor to the polyvector command (using the colour parameter)?
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

Wampus

Ok the code has been uploaded. The end result might look nice but really, the code was a rush job.  :-[ Here is the link: http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=8152.0

Quote from: Slydog on 2012-May-25
Incredible!   :good:
It is very smooth!

How did you do the shading when a face rotates away from the 'camera'?
Did you just apply a shading factor based on how directly the face is towards the camera, then pass that factor to the polyvector command (using the colour parameter)?

Yes, that's what it does. Depending on the angle it will pass darker or lighter colours to the polyvector command.

There is a quality variable. If you set it to 0 instead of 1 you can see what it looks like without shading. Not very good, basically. Hard to tell what's happening.

Ian Price

That's really great and mirrors something that I was considering working on in the future (a Final Fantasy Tactics/Onimusha Tactics type TBS game).

Lovely :)
I came. I saw. I played.

r0ber7

Are those Minecraft textures?  ;)

theprotocol

This is extremely cool! Well done, Wampus.

How did you get the idea to do this?

erico

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-May-25
That's really great and mirrors something that I was considering working on in the future (a Final Fantasy Tactics/Onimusha Tactics type TBS game).

Yep, we need more tatical games, I´m quite a fan of both (and ogre battle too).
But you could also have an adventure going, like cadaver, or maybe something more rts like powermonger.

Ian Price

I nearly added Ogre Battle and Disgaea but didn't want to weigh the post down too much...
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

you should have :whip:
I never heard of Disgaea, now I will have to scavenge about it since I love tatical games! Thanks :good:

Ian Price

Disgaea is/are one of the best 3D TBS games available. It's available on DS, PSP, PS2 and PS3 in various guises and ports. They are wonderfully inventive, with super silly attacks that'll have you laughing your socks off.
I came. I saw. I played.