Another kickstarter: Elite

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

It might, but not on my support.
These people needs no funding, they want pre-sale, I don´t bother pre-buying something, but Braben hasen´t done much game wise for a long time.
Best wait and see, but I believe a lot of people will jump in just couse of the name...I think the campaign will succeed.

Ian Price

QuoteThese people needs no funding, they want pre-sale, I don´t bother pre-buying something, but Braben hasen´t done much game wise for a long time.
Actually, he has. He does a lot of stuff for Kinect (XBox360) and has worked on a fair few pc games, including RollerCoaster Tycoon - all under the "Frontier" label.

He won't be getting my support either - Elite and space combat games in general are not my cup of tea. Played it a fair bit back in the 80s, but not interested in it nowadays. although that may change once it's actually available (got to be on a console or I definitely won't get it).
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

I didn´t know braben did rollercoaster, but wasen´t him just a studio name? like a distributor or something like that, while other production teams created the game?
I kind of think he actually didn´t produce much after Frontier but used his fame as a seal of some sort.

I wonder about elite on consoles, isen´t this the kind of game that requires a lot of buttons (keyboard)? Similar to mechwarrior 2 for example?
I guess it is doable couse controls have so many buttons nowadays... :P

Hemlos

Reminds me of tradewars(ca late 80's on fidonet)...wasnt very popular.

Another game(turn of the century ~2000ad) almost exactly like this elite game, was 2d/3d and free for a long time, and attracted very few players. Along with a slough of dozens of other games just like it, none really lasted.

Somehow i dont think this one will do too extraordinarily well, but it might last for a while(5-10) depending on if its free or not.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

bigsofty

I think this is a great project. If it holds onto the game-play of the original and expands it a little, then it could be a success but I did not like the weird physics engine that Frontier used to I hope they stick with the unrealistic but fun one of the original. I am pretty sure Dave Braben has plenty of cash to fund it himself though if he wanted?
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Wampus

I think the elements that made the original so much fun have been condensed down, expanded upon and replicated many, many times. If they get their funding I hope this game is strongly creative and brings new things to Elite.

Ruidesco

I think I'll keep Oolite for the time being. :P

erico

There is also Limity Theory going on:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joshparnell/limit-theory-an-infinite-procedural-space-game/

But I rather wait for anyone to finish so to check it out.

Wampus

Quote from: erico on 2012-Nov-21
There is also Limity Theory going on:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joshparnell/limit-theory-an-infinite-procedural-space-game/

But I rather wait for anyone to finish so to check it out.

Pretty looking space in the pitch video there.

Anyone ever play Noctis? It was/is a space exploration game that had simple 3D gfx even for the time it was released (10 years ago). Despite that, or perhaps because of that, it could catch hold of the imagination in a fantastic way. There wasn't really anything to do but travel to different star systems and search for life on possibly habitable planets. That was it - that, and the sense of the vastness of space and the incredible power of stars, etc. Creepy and fascinating. Anyhoo, back to work...  ::)

erico

I remember Noctis, but It never quite runned ok on my machines. :(

Ian Price

Here's yet another one, but this time by Chris Roberts the author of Wing Commander - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

I liked Elite back in the 80's but have avoided all space sims ever since. This one is actually getting me interested.
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

What? no Ginger Lynn this time? ;)

erico

heck, I have seen latest videos and am about to change my mind on this...
...not for the talking of what it could be, but that cobra mkIII kind of deserve some applauses. :good:

I really wish this can come out now, even pricey.
I can´t donate/help though, all my coins are currently going to those who already delivered.  ;)