Does GLBasic worked with any level editors/map makers/ Software like "tiled"

Previous topic - Next topic

jennyweelim

Does GLBasic worked with any level editors/map makers/ Software like "tiled" "TextturePacker" (sprite sheets) / "Audacity" (sound effects). Are there tutorials/examples in using GLBasic with apps mentioned/or related above? I found some example tutorials here and there in GLBasic programming. Are there any good programming books that cover the language/game programming? A beginners start to finish. That walks you through 2d and 3d programming? Or any other resources?

Many thanks.

Ian Price

There are examples of working map code for MAPPY (there are others) and TILED on the forums. Use the Search box for more info.

Sound effects - GLB can use .WAV, .OGG and .MP3 off the bat. IIRC there was a .MOD and .MIDI support for Windows too, although these may not work with other platforms. Although don't quote me on this last bit. Stick to the first three formats and you should be OK, although bare in mind that some devices need the sounds to use specific frequencies etc.

MrTaToad has done some fantastic books - available in paper format or eBook/PDF that cover pretty much everything GLBasic-wise and beyond - See HERE Well worth spending a few quid/dollars on if you want to know more about GLB.

I came. I saw. I played.

Wampus

If you need help with Texture Packer (for your sprite sheets) or Simple Tile Map Editor let me know. I use those two and can supply GLBasic libraries for their support.

MrTAToad

Moru as well as myself have written Mappy (www.tilemap.co.uk) loading and display routines.  It is an easy-to-use map creation program - just a shame it's data format is so convoluted.  Unfortunately it is the only mapper system I know of that doesn't use XML

Tile packers also tend to use XML, so you would need to process that.

Zapp

Tiled is not too hard to work with at all. Had a play with it on the weekend, then spent some time examining the save format, I found for what I needed it for that setting the save style as .csv in the preferences made parsing the file into my application a lot easier to handle, but for a bigger project I'd probably go for a complete XML parser if I was to add attributes to tiles etc.

Took me a day to write a parser to pass the save format and then another day to write and deubg the code to draw the textures with X flip, Y flip and rotate. Overall I was impressed at how easy the process was as I had not done something like this in the past.

spacefractal

in GreedyMouse I tried first Mappy, but soon goes over to Tiled. The reason I felled Mappy was a very bloated binary like format and I did have some issues (but cant remember why, since I shifted very short in the beginning on the dev).

Tiled is on other hand very easy format and is easy to support it, but its might take some time if you want to support all features (example I diddent bother to support multi image tiles as well objects, since they was not required in the game).

So GlBasic have no on the box support, but its should been pretty easy to add your own.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

siatek

Hi

I'm using tiled in my new game ... I'm reading a *.flare file from the export secrion ... its really easy txt format ...
I checked many of map editors and im think that tilled is the most powerfull and its easy to use or expand

regards

sorry for my english :)
glbasic roxx !!!

Zapp

I tried to use the Flare .txt export option, but found it kept asking for specificly named layers before saving, which didn't really mesh well with what I was going to use it for, so I went with the native save-as option rather than the exporting options.

siatek

Yes it is, but i will fit for most cases

you must have collision layer, background and object
in my game i use all of them and two more

background = level
collision - collisions :)
objects - alle entities and enemies
i also added far (second background for example for water and bigger elements)
and layer called "near" for flowers and small thing end everything what is drawing closer than player

in future i also add paralax or 2 paralax layers ...

i know that this is not perfect solution but its works ...

im just save level, export it, hit f5 (in tiled) and play a game ...

aaa and im forgot in flare.txt you can export also variables defined in tiled editor for example im importing what soundtrack shoud be playerd or sky gradient number ect ect ...

regards

sorry for my english again :)
glbasic roxx !!!

Zapp

I guess the advantages to not using the exported save types and the native one, is that all I need to do is hit CTRL+S to save any changes and then with the app running hit F3 which is bound to run to the load level function. But I understand what you are doing with you game too. I have the following layers:

Foreground2
Structures2
Ground2
Foreground1
Structures1
Ground1
Foreground0
Structures0
Ground0

This allows me up to three layers of depth to the 2d rpg action rpg engine, so i can have walkways in dungeons that have alternative collision to the main floor etc. the foreground allows me to have structures like support beams that the player can walk under.

L.D.M.T.

soon I am going to write the loader for gl basic that there was a possibility to create levels in my editor of the worlds of Modex and then directly to load into language.

screenshots are available to the address: http://myblitz3d.narod.ru