My Steam projects - BR Logic Pack..

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamerman

Soon more will come here...

Edit:

Finally after long time my first finished GLBasic game is comming to Steam (currently only for Windows).
Nothing special, more as a test that I can do it and finish work on that project, generally it's a bundle/pack of few logical/puzzle games.

Little back story: some games started as Symbian OS projects years ago, coded with QML/JS and released on official Nokia/Ovi store, remade later in GLBasic and enchanced.
Games are 'inspired' by already available titles, nothing original just done in the way that I like it.
At first I was aiming to release all games seperately (with in-app advertising) yet during to long developement time and possible Steam release I choosed to bundle them.

Technical stuff:
At beggining I wanted to use GLBasic as ultimate tool, yet as we know future Android/iOS platform status makes this hard/impossible, despite this I wanted to at least check other platforms, so I ported game to pure HTML5/JS with Canvas based drawing.
HTML5/JS port is used on Android (with Cordova), Windows Store (desktop and phones), LG TV, Vewd and possible others.
Steam version is made with GLBasic, it has gui with fancy transition animations and this will be main version to add possible enchantements, additional games or whatever.
As You may surely assume, I don't have any special / big expectations for this release, just to pave the way, enter this market and see how all things like project management in store are done.

Next in line are two GLBasic games, that are already waiting from some time, target platform is also Steam.

Steam link
YouTube video
For some reason YT video doesn't work.. hm..

PS. other versions links:
Android, Windows Store, LG TV Store...
Vewd / Opera TV platform is still waiting for approval...

ps2. Maybe it would be better to have some kind of 'Steam Thread' to post all GLB projects available there in that topic, for such small releases it would be better.
Check my source code editor for GLBasic - link Update: 20.04.2020

MrPlow

Good stuff Dreamerman!
I did the same with Zen Blocks (puzzle game also) -started just publishing due to being the most PC like of my mobile titles and ended up redoing a lot of it for higher PC resolution and extra features / modes etc.

Learned a lot from it and next game will be much different.

Look very nice! Puzzle category is niche on steam and the category doesn't get lot of attention unless some super viral new puzzle game is created.

I learned that majority of PC Steam users are not Puzzle-heads...but they do like Strategy.

:good: Good Luck with it!!!!
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

r0ber7

Nice! How was your experience using the Steam publishing platform? I sometimes find the web interface a bit confusing...

bigsofty

Good luck with your Steam releases Dreamerman!  :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

dreamerman

@MrPlow
Yes puzzle games are niche on Steam, and without really original concept or design it's hard to got attention. On other hand many people may think that paying more that couple bucks for puzzle game is to much so I'm aiming at low price and hope to get that $1000 limit and add Trading Cards later as this also can ramp up sales a little. Next projects are action/arcade puzzle game, second is 'lite' strategy, so I will see how it will go with them.

@r0ber7
All that stuff with app ids, packages, content packs or whatever it's called can be misleading some times, specially that some tutorials on YT presents older submitting process from what I see. But for such small games it isn't hard if You don't plan to add DLC, create separate packs for testers and so on..

@bigsofty
TY, it will be needed! :d

Best thing is that now I'm focused only on GLBasic stuff, no more any hmtl5/JS porting, testing and so on, and Android SDK is awful when compared to VS...
PS. I hope to see 'Red Wizard Island' and 'PMS' soon on Steam! ;]

MrPlow

Great stuff! Keep us updated on how you get on with Trading Cards!
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

spacefractal

Trading Card is NOT all god and gold at all and you believe its will get more sale, but.....

Im have experince various issue with that when im got it implemented. Vavle will notice it when you try to sell it outside steam cheap, that have tradingcard support and will deny requesting more keys (Im cant request anymore keys for Greedy Mouse and Karma Miwa example). This was that im experinced with Tradingcard. So Tradingcard Farmers pretty much killed it for me, which is why im dont like them anymore. So im personally have no plans to implement it for PowerUp Elevation.

Howover checkout the bonus forum, im have created a thread about it, so you can get inspiration how you need to design your own. Tradingcards is SDK free, so no glbasic implemeration is required at all, same with save games when done right (im use a lots of flat files to been picked up by steam cloud).
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

dreamerman

Rather small update than some super changes.
'BR Logic Pack' started as 6 puzzle games pack, now there are 9 games, and I plan to add at least 2 more.
3 'new' games are:
- Pixel Village - build walls and roads with nice pixel based sprites,
- Dungeon Slider - move wizards in dungeon and collect potions,
- match 3 - classic game with some variations,
- additionally few other games got new playing modes,
Game is also available on itch.io, You can download and check it out for free, Steam version will get new additions earlier and currently supports achievements and leader boards (for now only sends user score, but all code for online high score is already in game and awaits for larger update).
trailer for current version:

Current main project is clone of Solomon's Key game with rather old school pixel-art graphic (based on itch / devmarket assets due to limited founds :D), many things are done: most graphics, core mechanics, menus, Steam achievements + leader boards, map editor with sharing levels online (classic web-based not Steam Workshop), some requires more work: additional game modes, boss logic, atm. has no music/sound and needs some polish before I will share proper gameplay video.

Another large project that's currently in limbo is an 2D RTS game (viewed from side, not top), won't say to much but I have basic prototype, and final product will be interesting. Have some nice ideas for it but, this would require redesign from ground to use threads, remaking my gui system, polish pathfinding and so on. Will get to work on this after finishing current things. Don't wont say to much as it's still early stage.

bigsofty

Looks great Dreamerman, you've been very busy! I really must stop sitting around and get my own game finished!  :S
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Qedo

good Dreamerman, and I still have to finish my first game.  :blink:

dreamerman

To be honest, last couple months I only fixed some small bug in game, and apart that I didn't have time to do proper coding ,specially in GLB :/ , just recently I played with maze generating algorithms in JavaScript. Now I will port it to GLB and make some 'game' from it, still I need to write some crazy code to generate 3d cube maze from prepared 2d arrays :> Not sure what later, I would like to finish that Solomon's Key clone, or at least push it to point that only sound and pr/steam/translation in missing, as I could do proper alpha testing in such case.
I'm waiting impatiently to see Yours projects :P and really any GLB project ;)

loftcat

Looks really professional @dreamerman thanks for sharing. Love seeing these GLB games on Steam, real inspiration to keep pressing on with my projects :)

erico

A great fit! People into puzzles will get a lot out of it. You seem to have something for everyone. Even I, that don´t fancy much puzzles, can spot a couple there which happens to be of my interest :)
Well designed!

loftcat

Quote from: dreamerman on 2022-Aug-20
To be honest, last couple months I only fixed some small bug in game, and apart that I didn't have time to do proper coding ,specially in GLB :/ , just recently I played with maze generating algorithms in JavaScript. Now I will port it to GLB and make some 'game' from it, still I need to write some crazy code to generate 3d cube maze from prepared 2d arrays :> Not sure what later, I would like to finish that Solomon's Key clone, or at least push it to point that only sound and pr/steam/translation in missing, as I could do proper alpha testing in such case.
I'm waiting impatiently to see Yours projects :P and really any GLB project ;)

@dreamerman I bought your game pack on Steam and am very impressed. I like the way I can launch all the games from a single menu without having to completely exit the game pack each time. Curious how you did this... am I right thinking all the games are inside one executable?

dreamerman

@erico
Sadly there is not so much people that likes such small 2d puzzles, people prefer something more artistic driven - like 'The Witness', or it's just rather not popular at moment.

@loftcat
Thanks, to be honest that main menu should be animated/interactive in a way that would show how each game is looking, but this would be just to much work for something like this. But if I will make some 'Action Pack' that would be preferred way to make main menu.
Yes all games are in one exe/project, as those are small games that's not an issue, of course some games have dedicated variables, but most things are shared like map/board structure.
main loop is something like this:
Code (glbasic) Select

do UI stuff (handles inputs, events, drawing both UI and game canvas)
if stage = game_1_
do game_1_logic (AI, tiles animations)
elseif stage = game_2_
do game_2_logic
[...]
endif

similar for user input, proper click/key handling function is called depending on game.

Progress with current maze mini-game.
Porting maze generation code to GLB finished, core board generation is done, but most functions like mouse/touch/key events, undo, needs coding/tweaks. 3D maze generation is working nice, not sure about texturing scheme I should use for it, will play with controls for this game mode, now it looks like this: