Android Crashes reduced!

Previous topic - Next topic

MrPlow

Reduced majority of crashing issues for one of my problem apps!

The app was reported to be crashing 8% of sesssions on Android.

Now it is less than 1% - I wasn't even sure to trust the Google stats as no users are reporting crashes or giving bad reviews due to crashes but anyhow even if the stats are only improved it all helps!

The issue might be done to a few things but the biggest change I did was removing the Virtual Keyboard in AE.
Instead I coded my own high score capture for the name. Others have said there are a few bugs in VKeyboard such as it shows your android menu panel after 1st use etc.

Removing (not using) this I suspect fixed a great deal of the crashing issues.

Just thought I would share with other Android devs on here.

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

spacefractal

Im guess this could due unsupported Unicode chars caused it. Glbasic does not support them.

I'm personally have newer used it at all, and property could remove it for eventuelly stability reasons.

Could been working a "useKey" statement in Android manifest if want to use it. Im can do that.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

MrPlow

Another possibility I was thinking about,  is that with the menu bar showing it could causes touch conflicts...
Especially if your touch controls are near the bottom of the screen too.

Comp:

Youkaisan

I'd pay for a Unicode version/addon for GLBasic, it's essential for modern applications.

spacefractal

Techical 16bit strings is all ready supported, but we still use old school 8bit bitmap fonts.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

MrPlow

Hi All

Just an update on my adventures in crash reduction for Android...I think I am getting somewhere now...

Some tips to avoid unnecessary crashing:

Add for Internet / Admob ads:
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" />

Remove: (Might help Wake lock background issues - my other apps that don't have this have less wake lock issues)
uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WAKE_LOCK" />

Also,
I think the music.play from AE  v2.9 is causing crashing.
Avoid any music and sound commands in GLB_ON_PAUSE and GLB_ON_RESUME

Hope this helps

Comp: