New Book

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTAToad

My new book is now finished - 430+ pages (without index) of lovely GLBasic technical goodness.

If you could have a look at the PDF file and let me know if there are any errors and/or omissions, that would be useful

Ian Price

I've not had a thorough look through it, but I love what I have seen so far.  :booze:

Well done. Excellent work.  :good:

Now for Volume II. :P
I came. I saw. I played.

bigsofty

Great work, very comprehensive and professional. Had a quick scan for the missing commands, that are not in the CHM manual, all seem present. Well done!  :good:

Any idea on cost yet?

Also, a "GLB Techniques" book would be a great follow up IMHO

Cheers,

Ian

P.S. I helped create the manual tutorials many moons ago with Gernot (yes, you can blame me!), its good to see some of them in a book at long last! ;)

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

MrTAToad

Lulu recommend a price of - you better be sitting down - £62.25 ($98.17/E 71.89) excluding VAT and delivery costs

Although I will probably charge a little less...

Slydog

I just got a book printed for my mom at:
https://www.createspace.com/
(Her book is: https://www.createspace.com/3463578, I did the cover and layout, ha!)

They charged $4 USD for a 250 page book [Edit: That's with a $40 'Pro' account upgrade to get that price], plus shipping, duty, etc, came to about $8 total maybe.
They sell it on their site for a markup, and can list it through Amazon.com for a smaller profit.

You could order prints yourself and self-market the book, or just get them to handle the sales and they take a portion of the profit.

So far they've been great, and fast.  Just thought I'd mention them.

My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

MrTAToad

I'll see what price they recommend :)

Unfortunately, the maximum number of pages they can do is 250...  So I'll stick with Lulu :)

Kitty Hello

will they provide price offs for making > 25 copies?

Try to contact a few official publishers. (Data Becker in Gemrany - there's surely UK/USA ones out there).

MrTAToad

Unfortunately standard book publishers like to go for dead-certs or where there is a fairly large initial cost.

I've contacted one UK publisher so I'll see what they say.

garyk1968

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2010-Sep-30
My new book is now finished - 430+ pages (without index) of lovely GLBasic technical goodness.

If you could have a look at the PDF file and let me know if there are any errors and/or omissions, that would be useful

where can I get the PDF from please MrT?

erico

download the [GLBasic Programmers Reference Guide.rar ] on the first post, extract it and there you are.

MrTAToad

Thats right - its in the first post.

Comments and superlative praise quite welcome :)

garyk1968

Quote from: erico on 2010-Oct-01
download the [GLBasic Programmers Reference Guide.rar ] on the first post, extract it and there you are.

Cheers! I didnt see it the first time.

Well smack me for being a dumb mother f****r :)

O and do you know when the hard copy will be available? Call me old school but still like the physical books.

MrTAToad

I'm hoping Gernot will be able to add feedback from the version I sent yesterday, but technically it is ready at any time - once people have made sure its accurate.

Slightly updated version is included in this post

erico

I'm checking it, by the way, excellent job you got there! Outstandiest! hehe
thks for sharing too.

Youkaisan

I'll buy a digital version for sure, I don't like a printed version since I have an Eee PC as extra reading tool, how much a digital version will cost?