Virtual Mac

Previous topic - Next topic

UBERmonkeybot

Has anyone tried compiling to a virtual mac?
I don't have a Mac and want to develop for it.

mentalthink

Virtual Mac means Hackintosh?¿, I did someyears ago and works perfectly, I think today all is more easy done some hackinstodh with Niresh have to be very easy to configure, these people update kexts very often.

UBERmonkeybot

I am installing on virtualbox as we speak,seems to be going ok but is realllllllllly slow...

Kitty Hello

O thought vBox disallows the installation of osx on a non mac....

UBERmonkeybot

As MentalThink said i have gone down the Hackintosh route but am trying to install xcode on VM and it doesn't seem to be working so far.

MrPlow

Theres a guy that rents virtual Mac on a monthly basis - 30 euro / month or so...

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

UBERmonkeybot

I had a look into virtual Macs,Shame i cant run it in a virtual machine.
Hey ho!

bigsofty

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

UBERmonkeybot

Cool Thanks BigSofty i will have a look.

erico

I built a hakintosh into an old laptop some years ago just for testing.
It took a couple of weeks to make it work with the nonstandard video driver and a few other important bits.

I never used GLB in it, but it ran my compilations.
All a bit super slow as I had a very crap onboard gfx without proper support for open gl.

I have been looking into doing it again on a separate drive on my own machine, but haven´t got around that yet.
OracleVM looks like a better choice

UBERmonkeybot

I have been trying with Oracle,with some success,Hackintosh worked fine straight out of the box but i couldn't download X-Code,I hate the way Apple is so restricting that you can't just bloody download X-Code and keep it on your NAS you have to install it to the machine,Blimmin control freaks!

That's why i don't have  a Mac.

erico

Yep, modern apple has always been that way, no surprise on this front.
Here I´m not sure one can compile IOS on a hackintosh, I´m not aware if they have any online system to check the OS and hardware.
The easiest route would be to acquire a low end mac, but then be carefull not to buy a too old as it can be discontinued.

spacefractal

a real mac is the way to go. Im do not support Hackintosh at all, so dont except how its will compile on those. You can property also rent a Cloud based mac as well.

If you get a used Mac, make sure a least "Snow Leopard" is installed (which dont support the old Intel cpu). Then you should been upgradable to the newest OSX (which is today a free upgrade).

Im did upgraded my 2009 Mac from 2GB to 8GB ram, since the newest OSX used about 1.75gb as startup, so there was a lots of swapping.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/