Animated background

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTAToad

Originally this was a WMV movie - it was not easy trying to convert it to a set of PNG files, but I eventually did it :)  The file is 101Mb and can be downloaded here : www.un-map.com/TestProgram.exe

Unfortunately I cant remember where I got it from - there is a site that allows you to download royalty-free background WMV's - which is where I got this from.

I'm using Setup&Go, so on Windows 7 you'll need to use Administator mode and manually delete the Test Program directory yourself, after you have finished with it.

One of two things will happen when you run the little program - your computer will grind to a halt loading in 208 720 x 576 files or it will be able to handle it deftly :)  Mine loads and displays it okay, but there is lots of disk activity during the display.

One side effect seems to be caused by the ESET AV program - it seems to have caused a PRE_LEAK_WOW64 Event Message...

I was originally going to use this for Spots, but quickly decided against it for obvious reasons :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

D2O

Hmmm,

no Startmenü
no Desktopicon
no Running.

Movi ~30mb:
http://www.deuteriumoxid.com/glbasic/Recorder-02-13_101741.flv

I7 2600K; 8 GB RAM ; Win10 Pro x64 | NVidia GTX 750 TI 2048MB ; Realtec OnBoard Sound;
Lenovo ThinkPad T400: XP Pro
GLB Premium-immer Aktuell

MrTAToad

There is no desktop or startmenu icon.  Did you start the program manually ?  If so, did you get a black screen ?

Ian Price

I can't even get it to install 1%. The moment I press install it brings up an error message in German(?) - see attachment.

Forgot to mention I'm using Windows 7 and I have Admin priviliges/mode.

[attachment deleted by admin]
I came. I saw. I played.

D2O

Sorry for my bad english.

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2011-Feb-13
Did you start the program manually ?
Yes

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2011-Feb-13
If so, did you get a black screen ?
Yes, the screen are black and in Windowscreen, no fullscreen.

If this only Win7 ?
My OS is XP.

How i can start this program otherwise if not Manuel?
I7 2600K; 8 GB RAM ; Win10 Pro x64 | NVidia GTX 750 TI 2048MB ; Realtec OnBoard Sound;

MrTAToad

QuoteYes, the screen are black and in Windowscreen, no fullscreen.
If nothing is displayed after a short while, then it sounds like your system cant handle it...

QuoteI can't even get it to install 1%
It does sound like Setup&Go isn't totally compatible with Windows 7

That can be easily dealt with :)

Its actually a rather good stress test - I did get a run-time error when running it earlier, although it was only once...  :blink:  It was most likely due to the virtual disk space needing to be expanded

Try this one : http://www.un-map.com/Anim.app.rar

It now has a count showing which image has been loaded

Code (glbasic) Select
LOCAL loop%,x%,y%

LIMITFPS -1

SETSHOEBOX "Media.sbx",""
FOR loop%=0 TO 208
PRINT "Loading : "+loop%,0,0,TRUE
LOADSPRITE RIGHT$("0000"+loop%,4)+".png",loop%
GETSPRITESIZE loop%,x%,y%
IF x%=0 OR y%=0
PRINT "Unable to load sprite "+loop%,0,100
ENDIF
SHOWSCREEN
NEXT
SETSHOEBOX "",""

loop%=0
WHILE TRUE
DRAWSPRITE loop%,0,0
SHOWSCREEN
SLEEP 1
INC loop%
IF loop%>208 THEN loop%=0
WEND

D2O

Hi, works fine in Windowsmode :)

But,
if animation 360° done,
then the animation is still standing for one sec.

MrTAToad

Thats the computer most likely expanding your swap file.

Ian Price

After a nice smooth start (about 30secs) the background starts to run at about a million miles an hour. Nice while it was watchable though. :)
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

Interesting - probably lots of hard drive activity causing it

BumbleBee

While loading i went for a walk.    =D  ;)  It runs fast, faster, dead slow. Less than 10 FPS but i looks very nice :)

Cheers 
The day will come...

CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570k, 3.4GHz, AMD Radeon 7800 , 8 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home 64Bit

MrTAToad

Its why it cant really be used... :)

Moebius

Looks very nice.  It was <sarcasm strength="mild">definitely</sarcasm> worth waiting an hour for it to download, 5 minutes for it to load, and another 5 for it to run through a few times! :D
Somehow I can see why you wouldn't use it...
Endless Loop: n., see Loop, Endless.
Loop, Endless: n., see Endless Loop.
- Random Shack Data Processing Dictionary

phaelax

Only took about a minute for it to load for me, but every couple of seconds the animation would freeze or slow down immensely then kick back up to a smooth frame rate.

MrTAToad

Its not surprising - 208 * 720 x 756 - its around a 1GB of animation there :)