iPad 3 Support?

Previous topic - Next topic

mrplant

Ok.. I know I'm asking early.. but I just pre-ordered a new iPad 3rd Gen device.
With iOS 5.1 out now - just wondering if it will be easy for Gernot to add support at native 2048x1446 resolution to GLBasic and some PLATFORMINFO$ info?
No rush or anything - I know he's a busy man -  just wondering what the lead time might be?

Time for me to fire up Photoshop and enhance some graphics I think!

spacefractal

Detecting using PLATFORMINFO is not required. Here you could just detect its by GETDESKTOPSIZE.

I guess it's either automatic supported or only require a very minor tweak. Property only few lines.

Greedy Mouse can support the resolutions too.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Crivens

Assuming it doesn't have any unknown new compiling problems and is basically treated as an ipad2 with 4x the resolution (it's 2048x1536) then it should work fine now. Just manually change the project info resolution for iOS to be 9998x9999 (or 9999x9998), then handle the graphics sizing yourself. Or specifically target the ipad3 only and use an override of 2048x1536 (or 1536x2048) for the resolution.

It's what I do on my game and it doesn't matter if it is running at 300x200 or 1024x768. Ok I haven't run it at 2048x1536 but all other resolutions work scaling up so there is no reason to assume that this won't work too.

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

spacefractal

Its might require a change in either Xcode and or few lines in glbasic.

edit: there is no settings to check for the new Ipad, so I think its should been automatic me thinks and detecting it by DESKTOPSIZE. So we need to wait to its been released and see what happens.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

mrplant

All sounding good!

Silly me  - but I didn't realise I could manually set the project resolution in GLBasic Project Options for iOS - just was in the habit of choosing from the drop down list - didn't even give it a thought!

ps. Space Fractal - What is Greedy Mouse?

matchy

This is what I do with my iPad 1.

spacefractal

Greedy mouse, look in annocering. My first glbasic game.

I keep my iPad, even I get iPad 3. That due game testing.

erico

Quote from: matchy on 2012-Mar-09

+1x1000

Sokurah

Quote from: matchy on 2012-Mar-09

The look on that poor womans face is priceless.  =D
Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware. :-)
Twitter: Sokurah

Kitty Hello

I don't get all the iPad 2/3 hype. I have an iPad 1 and it's the only device we really use frequently. Mostly for what's on TV and web surfing, but also for some party games like "Game of Life" and Ludo. It has all I need for a tablet, why would I need a quadcore and a retina display - I have a PC for that.

..anyway - please do buy one. And then buy my apps XD.

As a matter of fact that I have to get a new Mac Mini, I fear this will be the first time that I have to charge a bit for an upgrade of a new GLBasic version. I'm not planning large fees and I hope to be able to leave purchases within the last 12 months for free. But before you boil me in hot oil, wait until I have more detailed thoughts...

Ian Price

With all your hard work and your proposed additions to the GLB language, I see absolutely no reason why you shouldn't charge a fee for a large update. Your work is appreciated and while Happy Thought feedback is nice, it doesn't help you move to the new tech.

I'll definitely support you :)
I came. I saw. I played.

bigsofty

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-Mar-09
I'll definitely support you :)

+1 on that Gernot  ;)
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

spacefractal

+1 for Gernot. If you charge for a upgrade (etc calling it Glbasic 2 or such after a major upgrade), I would pay too. Same if you add other platforms.

fuzzy70

I am currently busy saving up again to buy GLB in the 1st place after having to spend out replacing my dead hard drive  :D

I will get there eventually  :)

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Qube

I almost pre-ordered the iPad 3rd gen on the day of release. In fact I did, but cancelled the order as I decided to wait for real hands on reviews and me being able to see one working before hand.

As a matter of fact that I have to get a new Mac Mini, I fear this will be the first time that I have to charge a bit for an upgrade of a new GLBasic version. I'm not planning large fees and I hope to be able to leave purchases within the last 12 months for free. But before you boil me in hot oil, wait until I have more detailed thoughts...

Absolutely no problems with being charged for a new version of GLB. I'd happily pay the full price again for V11 without hesitation. it's more important that you can easily fund the kit you need to continue GLB's growth and make it worth your time and effort in doing so. Charge away =D