User's language

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTAToad

Would be nice if PLATFORMINFO$ could be updated to get the users current language (in addition to their country).

Ian Price

That would be tricky, as in some countries there are several official languages.
I came. I saw. I played.

hardyx

The language configured by the user in the device is only one. I think this can be useful.

Ian Price

Ah right. Might be easy on pc but on mobile (non phone) formats could be tricky.

I just wonder if the extra effort is worth it - do you (general) ever get requests for your games in other languages? Is it worth the extra effort making multiple languages available from the off. I did it with B'lox! but I really don't know if the feature was used as I've not had any feedback about it.

[EDIT] I can't even speak English properly - terrible grammar up there ^ (Sorted now though)
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

I would not know how it goes on other countries.

But my game/computer experience dictates I had learn english to deal with it, to the point that I can´t operate computers in brazilian portugues.

As for this country, there is a lot of english words and sentences and as far as games go, it makes no sense in translating it.
If it is an adventure, then that is another issue.

I checked FEZ down de xbox stuff some weeks ago, and it has portuguese language, and that version is pushed to you.
Quite horrible.

But maybe for the new generation of gamers it makes more sense.
Me being old school, only english. Altough I had played some spanish, some french and a lot japonese only games before. :S

MrTAToad

I think it is a nice thing to have - and may help towards international recognition.

hardyx

In Spain not many people speaks English, is the heritage of the isolating in the last century. Youth  speaks English more, but older people too little. If you make your game in your local language too (if not English) the market will be bigger.

Ian Price

QuoteIf you make your game in your local language (if not English) the market will be bigger.
Not sure I totally agree. The market won't be bigger (the market is what it is). It is probable that more sales may occur as a result of the game being available in that language however, it is all dependent on the game methinks - whether it uses lots of text or not. And any increase in sales may not necessarily justify the time/cost/effort in translation services.

A good game will sell no matter what it's primary language is. Obviously a game that needs lots of text MAY perform better in the native language. But in the gaming market there are few guarantees of success. But point taken - the effort may well be worth it if the game warrants it.
I came. I saw. I played.