Unusual Adventure - test it out

Previous topic - Next topic

Darmakwolf

Quote from: Ian Price on 2013-Apr-20
I haven't had chance to test later versions, but I enjoyed playing the first one. I really love the greyscale pixel look :)

I think the main character could be softened up a bit (it could be mistaken for a KKK follower!), but other than that it's a good start).

:)

I got a good laugh out of that! KKK follower... jeeze. Well I can't change the character - he's an old classic between my friends and I, but you're welcome to edit the sprite yourself  =D

bigsofty

Finaly had time to give it a go! It all feels very retro'ish, almost Gameboy'ish if you lowered the res and gave it a more green/high contrast hue. But overall it's a lot of fun, well done!  :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Darmakwolf

New in this version:

Fixes to critical issues that happened under rare circumstances
Added ability to move already-placed enemies/entities (right click + drag in entity placement mode in the editor)
Added horizontally moving platforms (and built a whole level around them that's 253 tiles long!!)
Improved smoothness of scrolling by reducing the range of tiles to render off-screen

Warning: the included level is challenging  =D

Feel free to make your own levels and post them for people to try!

Darmakwolf

Quote from: bigsofty on 2013-Apr-21
Finaly had time to give it a go! It all feels very retro'ish, almost Gameboy'ish if you lowered the res and gave it a more green/high contrast hue. But overall it's a lot of fun, well done!  :good:

Glad you like it, Bigsofty! You wouldn't like the code, though - it's a scary looking 3800 lines...

bigsofty

Nah, post away, I am sure its a good read Darmakwolf!   :)
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

fuzzy70

I'm enjoying the latest version posted & love the lvl.

I seem to be suffering some stuttering with the graphics occasionally but I would put that down to my PC & not your game as have noticed it on other posts & some projects of my own.

Keep up the good work Darmakwolf  :good:

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Darmakwolf

Quote from: bigsofty on 2013-Apr-21
Nah, post away, I am sure its a good read Darmakwolf!   :)

Maybe my comments in the code where I get frustrated are worth a read. The code itself not so much. :P

Darmakwolf

Quote from: fuzzy70 on 2013-Apr-22
I'm enjoying the latest version posted & love the lvl.

I seem to be suffering some stuttering with the graphics occasionally but I would put that down to my PC & not your game as have noticed it on other posts & some projects of my own.

Keep up the good work Darmakwolf  :good:

Lee

Thanks Fuzzy! This is actually one of the most rendering intensive GLB apps I've made yet, so if your PC is sub-par then this is my one project likely to stutter... but I just ran it on an early 2000's Pentium IV running Windows XP and 512 MB RAM and it runs 60FPS like a champ :P

Try making a 64x32 tile map and seeing if it's smoother. The demo level there is 230+ tiles by 15. My PC lags on any map I make bigger than 256x128 - but that's HUGE. that's 8000 x 4000 pixels. Most maps can be 128x64 and be linked together with warps to ensure that lower-end PCs can handle it.

fuzzy70

Intel Core 2 duo @ 2.13ghz with 2GB ram, Nvidia 240GT. Win7 (dual boot 32/64 bit)

Not a great spec by any means but should not have any problems with your game. I run far more complex things without a problem however something has changed recently as all GLB programs show this stutter.

It is not a GLB fault but something my end & am pretty sure it is a driver setting. For example I ran a test drawing 1k sprites & in 32bit windows there was the odd stutter every 1-2 seconds, in 64 bit windows not one stutter. Interestingly the program was using around 10-15% cpu in 32 bit win7 but  60%+ cpu in 64 bit win7.

So with them results def something screwy with my PC  :D

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

fuzzy70

Out of interest are you using version 10 or the 11 beta?.

Only asking as I am tempted to switch to the beta due to not having any plans to release anything for quite some time, even then what I will release will be Windows only  :D

Lee
- "These go to eleven."

Darmakwolf

11.322. I should compile it with 10 and see how that fares too. For me, it's fast and smooth as butter on 11 though :P

fuzzy70

Thanks, I will install 11.322 when I get back home. By the time I have anything full to release (other than the odd snippets as usual) version 11 should be out of beta lol.

Lee

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

- "These go to eleven."

erico

Tried the latest version. Things are getting better :good:
Everything smooth on my end, win7 64b nvidea.

The jump movement still feels strange(but not bad), I think it could do with a more direct parabola movement.

I caught a bug I think, when on top of a stair, ye going in and out, the stair block got pasted over the player sprite for a couple frames.

Nice level!

Darmakwolf

Quote from: erico on 2013-Apr-22
Tried the latest version. Things are getting better :good:
Everything smooth on my end, win7 64b nvidea.

The jump movement still feels strange(but not bad), I think it could do with a more direct parabola movement.

I caught a bug I think, when on top of a stair, ye going in and out, the stair block got pasted over the player sprite for a couple frames.

Nice level!

Look, I appreciate your critiquing, but the jumping isn't going to change. Also it took me a while to figure out what you meant... the LADDER, right? not the "stair?" Yes it does appear in front of Blobo before you're on it. That will be fixed before release when I implement proper z-ordering of tiles.

erico

yep, the ladder hehe, way to early on my side of the world to think/write properly. :-[
The jump is fine as it is.