Glowing Rocks from Outer Space

Previous topic - Next topic

Bursar

So it's a rubbishy title, but what did you expect from an Asteroids clone? ;)

Couple of screenshots attached so you can see what it looks like. Download linkage (3MB) is here

Source code now available: http://tymargames.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/GlowingRocksSource.zip

Makes use of MrTAToads vector code and PeeJays bitmap font routine - thanks guys, the game looks much because of that :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kitty Hello

Very nice. The rotation feels a bit too slow, but apart from that - excellent.

Make it rotate on gravity and push an iPhone version :P

Excellent use of GLBasic techniques, too. I saw you using ini files.

Bursar

Yeah, the rotation speed was also mention when I posted on RR, so I'll up that a bit. I've been asked for the source code, so when I've made a few changes and tidied it up, I'll put that up here as well.

Wampus

I prefer it to the original, which is great praise for a remake.  =D

matchy

Love it!  :good: :coke:

This needs to be on the iPad.

Cliff3D

As computers get more and more powerful, I find that there are a few "old favourites" from my childhood that are still worth purchasing (over, and over, and over again!) because their gameplay is simply enjoyable enough that, even with dated graphics and sound, they are a valuable asset on my new computer.

Asteroids (along with PacMan, BattleZone, and very few others) is a great example of a game that I get over and over again - played in the arcades, bought as "Meteroids" for the BBC Micro, bought as part of the "Microsoft Arcade" for Windows 3.x (and still works under Windows XP today, although window size is an issue on modern graphics cards) and various "81 games for £10" type packs from Atari and the likes.

So - Asteroids is known to be one of my all-time favourite games, on all platforms - and while I agree that ship rotation could be sped up a bit, I love your version just from a quick play. Excellent job, sir :D

Bursar

:happy: Thanks guys :)

I downloaded GLB about 3 weeks ago, and spent a few hours most evenings working on it, so it just shows how easy GLB is to get to grips with.

I think I might well buy it now :)

Ian Price

That's rather nice that is. probably one of the best Asteroids remakes I've ever played. :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Hatonastick

Brilliant, but what else would I expect from one of the RR crew. :)
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

Wampus

Just a thought Bursar - Retro vector games seem to be popular on the iPhone and iPad. I noticed a game called Tractor Beam on iTunes last night doing well and it looks rather dull compared to the smooth gleaming pretties of your asteroids clone.

Glowing Rocks from Outer Space is an excellent name for a game IMO.  :) However, in regard to the clip I just posted never, ever, ever call a design company/collective Manufacturing Content.  :noggin:

Bursar

Thanks for the praise, but there won't be an iThing version. I don't own any Apple products, mainly for the abonimations that are QuickTime and iTunes. I also don't intend to pay £650 for a Mac Mini, when a PC of the same spec would only cost about half as much. But that's enough of my anti-Apple rant :)

Bursar

OK, new version now available. If you have already downloaded the game, you can just replace the .exe file with the one in the new ZIP file so that it will retain your high scores. The link to download the complete game has been updated with the new version.

The changes are:
Increased player rotation speed
Increased safe radius check when spawning player
Altered first ufo spawning timer to give a little longer before it appears
New rocks only spawn when the ufo isn't on the screen
Medium and small rocks slightly shrunk in size
Small ufo slightly shrunk in size
Friction slightly reduced so player drifts for longer
Holding down the fire key at game over no long whizzes through the hi-score initial entry screen and starts a new game
Pressing Esc during the game brings up a pause menu rather than exiting the game

Let me know what you think, and if it needs any more tweaks :)

If there's nothing really left to change, I'll post the source code in a few days.

Bursar

Sorry, might not have been clear. The files have been updated, so the link in the first post will get you the updated version, but here's the link again: http://tymargames.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/GlowingRocks.zip

I haven't changed the ZIP name. In future I'll add a v1.1 or something onto the end :)

Cliff3D

Ah thanks! I was put off by the (old) date being in the download link. Running to fetch it now!