Android 6 Crashing

Previous topic - Next topic

spacefractal

except one case, its seen all crashes for me seens to been in idle status. not while playing.

Also after May 2017, you will get much more crash report from all users that have enabled sending crash reports to google. They share to us. This is why you see higher rate of crash rate.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

MrPlow

Yes, probably the case alright.
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

spacefractal

that means HIBERNATE might not working correctly. So im should take a look why. This kind of crash is hover a more minor issue, not major really. Startup crashes is the worst one or crash midgame. not so much from idle or shutdown cases, which also can happens.

You can see that if you have a lots of crahses with point to lib.so (or such).
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

spacefractal

HIBERNATE seens to works correctly when onPause() and OnResume() is called. But OnDestroy() is newer called for some reasons. Here nothing im can do. So im will do no changes to that command. So eventuelly crash on quit is nothing im can do. Here its also not that major at all. Its minor. People can still play the game.

Howover this was on a Android 5 device, since im can do nothing with Android 6, but with Android 6 SDK was used.

What im will look on before release (here sadly with all Google Service Play stuff removed) is the auto backup system that came in Android 6.0. There is a folder im need to get it excluded for backup (the files dir, so the devices not backup up medias for no reason).

Also.... Rather using Admob. We should checking out other ads service we can use instead of Admob. There is exists other services as well. Amazon remember worked fine, but limited to some countries throught.

spacefractal

I'm only need to checking out the auto backup feature, so it's don't backup media files for Android 6.0 Pi.

For Android 7.0 api I'm need to check out NDK libraries I'd glbasic uses private system libraries. That is not longer allowed. But it's might not been a issue. Just want to checking it's don't do that.

MrPlow

Hi SF,

Just on the Ads - not all frameworks are worth implementing - even if they work - they might not be any good if the revenue and fillrates are bad.

Admob is the leader, but Amazon is not the next best...they are way down...and probably not worth implementing for someone to make money with ads.
Comp:

spacefractal

But admob sdk is integrated to Android Studio, so I'm can't do anything without it. I'm won't use more time about that crap after they changed the system after version 29 (it's is in about version 45 or around). But there exists other than admob and Amazon. Also some network can use multiple networks as well.

But next version of Android extras is diffensivt newer use Google play service anymore... Not with without Android Studio......

MrPlow

Sorry SF,
:)
I just got a bit confused - I thought you said you were changing to Android Studio - but that has changed again?
Google are getting tricky to deal with alright.
The prob want to upset system a bit...even Admob revenues are down of late...partly they want Analytics from Apps too...and Firebase integration etc etc.

A bit awkward alright.

Comp:

spacefractal

You can compare xcode for ios with Android Studio for Android.

All thier service have been moved and integrated into Android Studio with no external sdk anymore. This was happens since android 4 really.

That cause all those issues when I'm updating android sdk to newer api, then the old sdk seens nor longer working..... Not for me. So without a such a project, then no Google play service. It's a Stabilty release.

Im have no TBA yet for the android studio glbasic project. But the standalone android extras is as I'm wrote remove and ceased all Google play service support that changes they did. Nothing I'm can do with that. So I'm will soon release android 6.0 standard version release.

They I'm might move it to Android Studio after that release.... But currently I'm won't do that. I'm need take some breath here.

This is why I'm tired about it.....

spacefractal

Just purchased a android 7.0 tablet and will get it on some days. Then I'm will cheking out again. First backup thing in android 6.0 and ndk thing in android 7.0 about private a library system calls.

As I'm aware glbasic does not used android system calls from c++, pretty much all this kind of calls is in Java. But I'm might also update NDK, but I'm thinks we still are on Android 2.x NDK here.....

Hibernate did I'm tested fine. But it's might have crashed on some devices. That device that crashed most seens to been a bad device (to short in memory).

spacefractal

im have got the new Android 7.0 games. My own games (Greedy Mouse and CatchOut) ran fine without crash. Same with MrPlow Galaxy and Centipede game. Both ran fine without crashes (im do not checked if its crashed on quit or such, but gameplay was fully playable, than that is the point. Ads did indeeded ran fine.

That means im can countinie in this week, update the Android Extras SDK to being using Android 7.0 instead of Android 5.0. But the old google service SDK seens depreacted with newer API, so im cant use that anymore.

Due Android Studio requirements for newer Google Play Service versions, im can no longer support admob, inapp and such service using that SDK in the standalone version, until the Android Extras project is moved into a Android Studios Project (no TBA here). Yes while the old SDK run fine with old version of API, im cant work that way anyway. Newer devices is simply just more important.

So im will defensivt remove all Google Service Play services for now.... But for crashes for old version, remove the OUYA based code. This is howover happens in newer version with AndroidIcons.exe, when you dont use the shop (its remove all lines with #SHOP). That OUYA SDK >can< crash on some devices for some odd reasons. The code is in Oncreate() after Ouya Innapp & Button Init (required to been here). You should not need to remove rest of the ouya bits as long its dont init the SDK without a Ouya shop key.

Im do happy to implement other ads service than google play of course. im havent checked out, and some service can even fall back to other service (etc if its fails to download a ads). Amazon example do that with a nice fall back feature. Its might been a blit less renvue here, but that is best alternative.

MrPlow

Thanks SF!

I can still side load my older projects and keep them using inapp and admob with older framework.

But if I am doing any stuff for free or a paid app I could do that in the new version :)

TBH - Although Google reports crashing - i do not get many bad reviews about crashing - i would expect I would be getting a few every week....but none at all...so not sure I fully trust the Google crash stats are accurate. :)

P.s. If you get a chance try my new app in Beta Test section.
Comp:

spacefractal

the crash bug in the Ios 64 bit was fixed in glbasic compression file, which was not there the debugger was pointed, so its was a nice fix by HeadKaze.

Im have not yet and still to update to newer Android SDK. But im will been sure to remove all Google Play Service, until im a day get it updated to use Android Studio. You should also remove eventuelly OUYA stuff in OnCreate() for better compatible, which also can crash out on some devices. That stuff was added before v2.9. Its was fixed in v3 by simple remove Ouya stuff shop when not used.

the older stuff might work, but can been depreacted in newer devices, and sometimes Android is very pisky and crappy annoying to do work with. For me Android is quite worse than iOS. Yes really. Im could not get the older google play SDK to work with newer SDK example (the newest separated SDK im could find), the ads was loaded, but then nothing then was happens at all (the callback did nothing at all as its should). That hence im remove it instead, due Google's requirements.

But.... im will also look to possible to open a webpage inside the app (as a dialog), which can been used for ads and news purpose instead, which can been a nice alternative. Since its open a webpage inside the app, then you could use pretty much anything really. The best alternative im will do when im went back again. That seens to been possible, but might require a newer Android for some features.

So lso Im will also no longer support Android 2.x and Android 3.x devices at all in the future.... even its might work. also im hate to support older versions. Remember on Ios, im cannot even support iOS 7 and below..... Apple wont accept that at all anymore.

MrPlow

hi Sf,

An Ad Platform that allow Reward Ads is an interesting option.

I was contacted by a crowd called Adscend Advertising...maybe one of those reward advert sdks is worth looking into :)
Comp:

spacefractal

Can been nice alternative and they still supply Jar files so hope fully should been possible without Android Studio. The only down side is it's require api-15 to get working...... But small price to pay.