a Simple Iphone App Code?

Previous topic - Next topic

codegit

I am aware that you can use a netbook with OSX. I thought it was illegal. I'm just trying to give the correct information.  :)
------------------------------------------
1 X Acer TravelMate 4270, laptop, XP PRO
1 X Dell Studio 17 laptop, Windows 7
1 X MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 9400M
2 X iTouch
1 X HTC Desire (Android 2.1)
iPad soon to be added

Hatonastick

Heh, I never noticed the 'parts' bit before.  If that's in their actual license, then that's daft.  I just quoted what Gernot posted, I don't know if it's a direct quote from the original license, or just what he interpreted the license to say.

If it is 'parts', then what parts are they talking about?  And if it does say 'parts', installing the entire SDK on non-Apple hardware would be against the agreement.  I'd go searching for the actual license, but I couldn't be bothered.  =D

doimus

It says "parts" just to prohibit you to use ANYTHING from the SDK on non-apple software.

After all, ALL is just the sum of PARTS.

This way, you violate the agreement if you copy a single byte from the SDK.  You would have a hard time in court explaining why one byte isn't PART of the SDK. :rtfm:

okee

A mac mini seems the cheapest option if you're not into Macs
You can also install Windows XP on the Mac very easily through
Bootcamp, so do your development in GLbasic on windows restart
and boot into OSX and then compile your app from the directory
you saved it in on XP.
Android: Samsung Galaxy S2 -  ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 2
IOS: 2 x Ipod Touch (1G)

kamakazieturtle

Its alright, I can't afford a new machine let alone an iphone right now anyway. GP2X is still my favorite thing to dev for, think I'm just gonna hold off for the Pandora.  :S

Gary

I use a macmini for my development which is used for nothing else but GLbasic and programming and its fine.

When I come to reset up my mac I would personally advise against going the bootcamp method of running windows and go for the Parallels option, simply because unless you are running anything other than GLBasic and maybe a few other "simple" programs, the loss in speed you get running via "emulation" far outweighs the hassles of booting in windows, compiling the code, copying it to a drive both the PC and mac can read and write to, shutting down, booting to mac, compiling, uploading to the iPhone, finding out you missed something out and having to boot back to Windows again. Bootcamp is fast and it does run exactly like Windows should (some might say slow, buggy and crashes a lot lol). But unless you have software that needs every CPU cycle then go for Parallels. You cant really run cpu intensive 3d windows games on the mac mini anyway

I havent tried it but I would imagine that Parallels can run GLBasic fine and be totally useable. Also it removes the need to partition the drive and suddenly realise that 30gb was not really enough for windows and all the graphics, sounds, code and other programs

MrTAToad

Oh yes, Parallels runs GLBasic fine.  You lose hardware acceleration (and your program will tell you about it), so you will lose a lot of speed.

MikeHart

I use vmware fusion 3 and it supports directx 9 and opengl 2.1 very good and fast. Virtualbox is very good too.

Sokurah

Quote from: doimus on 2010-Jan-09
This way, you violate the agreement if you copy a single byte from the SDK.  You would have a hard time in court explaining why one byte isn't PART of the SDK. :rtfm:

Well, "who cares?" - it's not like they're ever gonna to come by your house and check what hardware you have. ;)
Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware. :-)
Twitter: Sokurah

bigsofty

Gernot went to great extents to get Apple to accept GLBasic as a development platform for iTunes... one of which, is to agree to develop on Apple hardware... this discussion is not one that will be read in a favourable light within Apple with regards to Gernots agreement.

My advice is not to discuss Hackintoshes on these forums, especially in the same context as GLBasic or none of us may end up publishing anything on the Appstore, Apple hardware based or not...

Maybe time for a thread lock?
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

codegit

Quote from: bigsofty on 2010-Jan-12
Gernot went to great extents to get Apple to accept GLBasic as a development platform for iTunes... one of which, is to agree to develop on Apple hardware... this discussion is not one that will be read in a favourable light within Apple with regards to Gernots agreement.

My advice is not to discuss Hackintoshes on these forums, especially in the same context as GLBasic or none of us may end up publishing anything on the Appstore, Apple hardware based or not...

Maybe time for a thread lock?

I agree!!!  ;)

If anybody is interested, this is how I do it.

I have an old XP laptop networked to my MacBook Pro. EASY PEASY  8)
------------------------------------------
1 X Acer TravelMate 4270, laptop, XP PRO
1 X Dell Studio 17 laptop, Windows 7
1 X MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 9400M
2 X iTouch
1 X HTC Desire (Android 2.1)
iPad soon to be added

doimus

Quote from: Sokurah on 2010-Jan-12

Well, "who cares?" - it's not like they're ever gonna to come by your house and check what hardware you have. ;)

Be careful when underestimating "THEIR" power. After all, it's THEM who killed Kenny. >:D  Bastards. :P

To people who run Win in parallels: how do you transfer data between Win and OSX - do Parallels have "Shared folders", like VirtualBox?

Kitty Hello

I have no idea if it's illegal to run OS-X on a non-Mac.
Is it leagal to install it in vmware? At least VMWare supports it IMO.

bigsofty

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2010-Jan-14
I have no idea if it's illegal to run OS-X on a non-Mac.
Is it leagal to install it in vmware? At least VMWare supports it IMO.

1) Yes, on 1st ( http://blog.cytalk.com/2009/11/installation-of-os-x-on-non-apple-hardware-is-illegal/ )
2) There's no official Virtual machine, capable of installing OSX, distro for Win32 and there won't be, Apple has an agreement with VMWare (even if VMware agreed to support OSX on Win32 it would still break the OS X End User License Agreement (EULA), to install it, so your back to point one) not to create one.

Both of the above CAN be done via various hacks/patches but in my own experience and what I've read online, you will run into a lot of problems with Xcode.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

I see. I think about getting a mac mini then. :/