Does GLBasic IDE Only Run in Windows?

Previous topic - Next topic

ArchiMark

Hi,

Just discovered GLBasic today. So, trying to make sure I understand how it all works...hope someone can please answer my noob questions....

1.  Does the GLBasic IDE only run in Windows or is it available for other platforms?

2.  Do you need the paid version in order to compile for multiple OS's?

3.  Do you recommend GLBasic for a code noob like myself or should I look at other Basic?

I have read several code books (basic, C, python, etc...) the past few years, so, do have some very basic understanding of fundamental programming concepts, but never really got very far beyond that besides doing some simple exercises and tutorials in the books.

My interests are to learn how to put together an actual program and develop for multiple OS's (Pandora, OSX, Linux, etc...) once I'm able to develop a program. Doing this for my own interest as hobbyist at this point. Want to learn....

Thanks for any and all input!

Mark

erico

These are based on my infos, I could be wrong and there could be alternatives, better check with others too.

1. Windows only. There are on going projects to extend that and some people run VMs or multiple OS installs to go through that.

2. I think Multi platform output may require the full version. You can check GLB main site for that.

3. Well, If a noob like myself can use it to good, anyone else in this world can ;/
It really depends on your goals, I can only state mine. There are a few BASIC languages on the market, none will give the power and portability of GLB IMHO. I did research a few before my final choice. There are programs that can help you goals on a more visual way, but again, IMHO, to pull power from them, I would need to learn a script language of some sort. Heck, If I have to code at the end, I might as well code right from the beguinning.

You could get the TRIAL version of GLB and attempt to get your ways around it. Maybe reading the help files and attempting to extend the current to your desire? Could be a way.

Have fun! :good:

kanonet

Welcome Archimark!

There is no Trail version of GLBasic, it was in the past, now its a free and a premium version. Free version is for Window, Mac and Linux with 2D Graphic (for non commercial use). Only if you want 3D graphic, network or mobile plattforms (iOS, Android...), then you need the premium. But you can test all features from premium version with free version too, if you do your program will only run 5 minutes, but this should be enough for your tests. See all features here: http://www.glbasic.com/main.php?site=features&lang=en

The IDE works with windows, there some small projects about IDE for mac/linux, but nothing finished and nothing official yet. From my own test i can tell you, that the IDE works just fine with GNU/Linux+Wine.

You read some books about some way more difficult languages than GLBasic, i think if you have patience to work with GLB and learn it, you will have no problem, its designed do be easy (but powerful). Check some tutorials and/or codesamples from other coders to get a start, if you need some help, just ask here and someone may help you ;)

Regards.
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

erico

Quote from: kanonet on 2012-Jun-07
There is no Trail version of GLBasic, it was in the past, now its a free and a premium version. Free version is for Window, Mac and Linux with 2D Graphic (for non commercial use). Only if you want 3D graphic, network or mobile plattforms (iOS, Android...), then you need the premium. But you can test all features from premium version with free version too, if you do your program will only run 5 minutes, but this should be enough for your tests. See all features here: http://www.glbasic.com/main.php?site=features&lang=en

:-[ sorry hehe, I knew I must have been wrong here or there.
But , all the way the better! :)

@ArchiMark , give a try and let us know how it goes. :good:

Edit: Kanonet, thanks for the correction!

ArchiMark

THANK YOU, erico and kanonet for such detailed and helpful replies. Greatly appreciate it and the warm welcome to this forum....

I do have a little Win7 laptop, so, I can run GLBasic on it....I also dual boot linux on it too...plus OSX at home and then have other pocketable linux devices too. So, you can see why I am interested in the ability to compile for different OS's...

GLBasic does sound good with lots of features, yet, easier to learn compared to some other languages...

I will certainly give GLBasic a try and ask for help here if I need it (I'm sure I'll have some questions....)....

Thanks!

:)

Darmakwolf

Good luck, ArchiMark. I love helping out those new to GLBasic. Please PM me if you need help!

ArchiMark

Wow! That's very kind of you, darmakwolf!

Everyone here is so nice, I better be good and start studying.....

mentalthink

Hi Archimark, I think some coleague makes works in Apple, I don´t try but comment, if I don´t remenber bad... was using not wine else the "other" I don´t rebember the name... and seems works.. I think in the forum has a thread...

MrTAToad

There was progress on a Mac IDE, but it never got finished unfortunately...

ArchiMark

Quote from: mentalthink on 2012-Jun-21
Hi Archimark, I think some coleague makes works in Apple, I don´t try but comment, if I don´t remenber bad... was using not wine else the "other" I don´t rebember the name... and seems works.. I think in the forum has a thread...

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2012-Jun-21
There was progress on a Mac IDE, but it never got finished unfortunately...

Thanks guys for your input.....too bad about the Mac IDE....as I do use a MacBook at home....

mentalthink

ArchiMark a good solution and works very fine it´s using the Paralell Desktops, I use in my mac mini using the "integration mode" and it´s very nice... you don´t show windows in any part, only shows the desktop of mac os... another good point it´s not use Win 7, using some special XP  , I found one, only weithgs 300 mB ~, and don´t consume too much requisites...

ArchiMark

Quote from: mentalthink on 2012-Jun-22
ArchiMark a good solution and works very fine it´s using the Paralell Desktops, I use in my mac mini using the "integration mode" and it´s very nice... you don´t show windows in any part, only shows the desktop of mac os... another good point it´s not use Win 7, using some special XP  , I found one, only weithgs 300 mB ~, and don´t consume too much requisites...

Agree and thanks for the suggestion, mentalthink.....

Didn't mention it before, but I use Parallel Desktop...recently upgraded to new version, works great....

AmazingJas

I think a mac version would be great.  My kids have macbooks for school...having such an easy to use dev tool would be great for them.

r0ber7

Hi Archimark, good luck with your coding efforts. My solution right now is a dual boot setup, one Win partition & the rest Linux.

So since this thread is here already, I'll ask something that I've been thinking about for some time now.
Somewhere on this forum I read that compilation can be done on Linux, even though the complete IDE does not work. Anyone know how this can be done? I'm not very fond of having to switch to Windows every time I want to code something. Instead, I'd rather use a plain text editor + compiler, but I have no knowledge about how this is done.

Albert

Check the Sublime text 2 therad, also look into glbasic\compiler\platform there is the GPC, GCC and all the info you needed to compile to any platform. I think you need a linux version of the gcc binaries but that's all.

This post: http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=7653.msg69291#msg69291