Windows 10

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTAToad

...as I didn't want to wait for days (or more likely weeks) for Windows 10, I upgraded with the Media Creation Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10).  GLBasic still works fine with Windows 10!

Ian Price

Good to know :D

Thoughts on W10 so far? I've seen both positive and negative feedback. The biggest problem appears to be the amount of data retrieval I'm hearing about and drivers for certain video cards.
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

Its somewhat better than Windows 8, but not by much.  Its no real evolution - just feels like they were trying to fix Windows 8 :)

It looks nice, but doesn't do anything faster...  The upgrade wasn't fast, and you do meet The Black Screen Of Worry...

Overall, its okay - nothing really special about, but at least its free...

Windows do look more like MacOS though, which could be regarded as a sort of plus!

Ian Price

Looking like MacOS is NOT a bonus in my book.

Should of stuck with the Win7 look IMHO - I really don't like the "Everything in the world has to be square-ish" look. This isn't just computers/phones/tablets related - this is everything, from cars to buildings to fashion to furniture and everything else. I like curves and rounded things, slopes and odd angles. The natural world is anything but square.
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

Im is still on "queue". Anders, one of my friends did liked win 10, even its does have some issues.

The only issue with Windows 10 is glbasic does not support universial apps, which is the more correct way to do, even its still works nicely with normal desktop apps of course.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

MrTAToad

Yes, Windows Universal Apps would be nice - but Gernot would have to get the lastest version of Visual Studio and then fix all upgrading problems :)

Microsoft Edge is okay - very sluggish at times though, and current doesnt support ad-ons, which is annoying.

Hemlos

In all that chaos we need something orderly to cling on to, like squares =D
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

erico

Agreed philosophically!
But I would question the hard sharp angles on the border of the square, are they really that sharp or a single point curve? ::)

spacefractal

im got somewhere bad experimence with win 10, but its was howover only in the start. There was some issues im got changed the gui to somewhere tablet view, which dosent work very well on a desktop. Its took some time to disable it. After that its fell nicely throught.

Microsoft Edge is a nice browser and fell right. Yes its might not support plugins, but that was doing this by design. This is something when Apple dropped Flash support in iOS nearly completly. So its not news about it. Internet Explorer is still in for that reason.

Also Chrome also soon disable the very old Netscape plugin system as well too.

Since Microsoft support xcode and android project on somehow, im dont thinks that is that hard to get tested how much that require changes to get working for universal apps, eventuelly a project like we did with xcode 64bit. But desktop apps does working. The only issue here is the app should been full screen when tablet view is enabled (which its did not do that correctly).

PS. Im do hope they now supporting OpenGL in universal app.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Hemlos

I was exposed to Windows 10 by a hardcore 3d gamer yesterday.
You can program windows 10 to run voice recoginized macros into any game, and tell it to "throw Grenade!" Fire" Missle!" and itll press F1 and F2 for ya.
Just awesome....works with any program the way i understood it.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

mentalthink

I like a lot hte UI the rectangles , it's very simple and atractive... I think in version 10 when you use Explorer or another tools like Shops, in the screen appear a huge logo about the app, I hope in this version the program get less time to load, in Windows 8 , in any windows you open app without use all this time.

The UI in mobiles it's very similar, I think Windows Phone is more easy to use than Android and perhaps than iOS, I only arrive to 5.1 on iPad.

MrTAToad

The answers Cortana gives to some questions are amusing, although it is not usually helpful, merely taking you to an appropriate site rather than directly answering a problem.

Its not bad : Games work; Firefox is a bit funny with YouTube but overal its okay.  At least it's free!

bigsofty

Windows 10 has a key logger, trojan file copier and personal data miner built in by default. Seriously, it's like getting your computer full of viruses by intent. I have a Surface Pro 3 and I already regret updating it. It copies every keystroke, every recorded sound and any files it wants and transmits them back Microsoft.

Here is a quick guide to removing some of the built in malware... https://fix10.isleaked.com

Just be aware that a lot of these are scheduled to be turned back on automatically as in the T&C you agreed to before the install.

The European digital rights organisation (EDRi) sums up the company's 45 pages of terms and conditions by saying: "Microsoft basically grants itself very broad rights to collect everything you do, say and write with and on your devices in order to sell more targeted advertising or to sell your data to third parties."
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

MrTAToad

And people have been having problems with updates too :)

Ian Price

Lots and lots of reports of strange behaviours due to Win10 - machines turning on when in suspend mode, graphics and audio issues - including flickering, black screens and stuttering audio. Ignoring the whole "phone home" stuff.

Oh dear.
I came. I saw. I played.