Red Wizard Island

Previous topic - Next topic

r0ber7

:) Thanks guys. Completion... not very near. I still want to code this in:

- end bosses (probably every boss needs seperate code)
- signs to read
- meteorite shower spell (big BOOM! :D)
- shops where you buy spells & powerups
- projectiles (viking chiefs throwing axes, etc.)
- jumping platforms (like, you jump, and go boing, way up high)
- a bird you can sit on & fly around with
- flying enemies

And that's just the code. On the gfx side I want at least an extra ice/snow world (viking homeworld). So far I've only got 2 enemies, and I can think of many other things still waiting to be pixeled. There's also the music side which takes time, but I'll have the first tune on the 7th next month.

But! As you said, it's coming along. Just laying one stone at a time and in the end I'll have a nice pyramid.  :good: And I'll probably release a demo some time before full release. GLBasic is the best language I've ever used to code a game in. No hassle, it just works.  =D

Nathan

Quote from: r0ber7 on 2011-Oct-26
GLBasic is the best language I've ever used to code a game in. No hassle, it just works.  =D
+1 on that.

r0ber7

First day of a three-day jam. Quick update.

Viking chiefs throwing axes: check.
Shield fully operational: check.

The axes are a new TYPE which can be extended to include other movements. Right now it's a physics-based curve (like a ball you throw) but I'm thinking of sinewave motions, straight motions, perhaps spirals too. Not that I'd want axes to be thrown in any other way, but perhaps an enemy wizard would cast a moving spiral of energy or something. We'll see where it goes.

At the end of these three days I'll make another youtube video.

Hatonastick

This looks really good!  Reminds me of an old game I used to play on the Atari ST which I don't remember the name of -- which is unfortunate as I liked it a lot.  ;/

Anyway looking forward to seeing the finished product. :D
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

r0ber7

Quote from: Hatonastick on 2011-Oct-29
This looks really good! 

Thank you.  =D

I just added information spheres to the game. (The kind that gives you information about controls, etc.) Now I've got a text system set up which can be used for story telling also. Also updated the level editor for this, and I added cleaning up functions for left-over enemies and projectiles that are no longer needed in memory.

In addition, I've set up a development blog on my own server: http://psyview.nl/blog/index.php?blogId=1

I will continue to post on forums, but it's nice to have everything in one place on your own server. :)

r0ber7

Trying to make a flying bird. Something's off but I can't put my finger on it.

Ruidesco

Maybe it's that it lurches too much.
In the attachment I tried relocating the bird in some of the frames so it lurches less.

[attachment deleted by admin]

r0ber7

Hmm, that does look better, although it should be on its highest point when the wings are all the way down. Nonetheless, thanks.  :good:

Here's a dragon version. Ok, I'll stop posting now until I've made these two look spiffy.

r0ber7

So I finished my three day coding & pixeling jam yesterday, but I spent the entire evening trying to figure out how to upload an HD video to Youtube. Figured it out now, so here I am, back to bring you the latest update on Red Wizard Island. I've been able to add and change many things.

Added since last video:

- viking chiefs can now throw axes

- text system for information, story telling, etc.

- basic shop system to buy spells n stuff with the coins you gather

- extra background and foreground layers

- new background gfx

- some new sfx

- shield spell fully working

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS9BsXOvfCU&hd=1

Nathan

Three day coding and pixeling jam?  I wish I had enough time to do that, but an annoying thing called work gets in the way.

Just watched a bit of the video, looks great.  :booze:

"Oomph, Oomph"  LOL.

Ruidesco

Now I can't help but be reminded of Cauldron when looking at this game.
Which only makes it more awesome, by the way.

Edit: by the way, have you thought about a font for the in-game messages and displays?

r0ber7

Quote from: Nathan on 2011-Oct-31
Three day coding and pixeling jam?  I wish I had enough time to do that, but an annoying thing called work gets in the way.

Just watched a bit of the video, looks great.  :booze:

"Oomph, Oomph"  LOL.

:) Yeah, my job is very irregular. Sometimes I work all week, other times I have only a few four hour shifts.

Quote from: Ruidesco on 2011-Oct-31
Now I can't help but be reminded of Cauldron when looking at this game.
Which only makes it more awesome, by the way.

Edit: by the way, have you thought about a font for the in-game messages and displays?

I never played Cauldron, but it fits the Halloween spirit. :) I see the resemblance. Been postponing the font. I was thinking of choosing a nice one in the fontmaker tool, then adjusting it in my favourite pixel program.

Kitty Hello

I'm not much of a halloween fan. On the contraty. But Cauldron was a very nice game for the C64. Hard, though. It featured outstanding gfx a solid story and different gameplay elements. Awesome work.

Ian Price

Whatever happened to your 3D Cauldron game Gernot?
I came. I saw. I played.

Hatonastick

Finally remembered the name of the game this reminds me a little of: Warlock's Quest on the Atari ST.
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).