Red Wizard Island

Previous topic - Next topic

r0ber7

Quote from: Nathan on 2011-Oct-19
Wow, you have loads of objects on the go there, impressive stuff.

The power of REDIM and arrays of TYPEs. :)

Lately I've been trying to get the fireball impact of my game improved. First three frames are fireball flying, after that is the impact anim.

The idea is to make flames burst out of the up and down sides of the fireball, while the velocity of impact breaks away the left side. I'm somewhat satisfied, but the flames on the edges don't seem right. Especially the last three screens kinda suck I think...

Ruidesco

That animation looks great, you're showing your oldschool pixel art background there. :good:

Concerning the last frames, they will look good if the object impacted is at least the vertical size of the last one, otherwise you might do better with a smaller spread and maybe some fire particles bouncing off.

Falstaff

Nice update, and cool animations :)

Quote from: r0ber7 on 2011-Oct-19
I've noticed sometimes the bouncing powerups get stuck near a solid block. Will fix that on friday, won't be a big thing. Unlike the segfault I spent most of my time on today. But it in the end, that's why I like programming. Solving riddles. ;)

Haha I've been fighting my own battles, among them getting all the Apple certificate/provisioning stuff sorted out to actually test my app on my phone.. it's funny how these problems can be so infuriating as they're happening, but that only makes it that much sweeter when you crack them :)

r0ber7

Quote from: Ruidesco on 2011-Oct-20
Concerning the last frames, they will look good if the object impacted is at least the vertical size of the last one, otherwise you might do better with a smaller spread and maybe some fire particles bouncing off.

My thoughts exactly.

Quote from: Falstaff on 2011-Oct-21
Haha I've been fighting my own battles, among them getting all the Apple certificate/provisioning stuff sorted out to actually test my app on my phone.. it's funny how these problems can be so infuriating as they're happening, but that only makes it that much sweeter when you crack them :)

Yeah, I think that's also why I used to play point 'n clicks so much. The more frustration, the more victory. :P

Anyway, second try:

It's not perfect yet, but at least it's suitable for hitting curved objects.

Yodaman Jer

Now this looks like my type of platformer!

The details look great! It looks fun to play. :)

Will be watching this thread very carefully...are you going to release a demo of it any time soon?  ;)

Also I see it looks as though you're developing it in Fedora...? Or is that just a GLB program running in it and not the actual IDE?
Click the pic to go to my development blog!

r0ber7

Quote from: Yodaman Jer on 2011-Oct-24
Now this looks like my type of platformer!

The details look great! It looks fun to play. :)

Will be watching this thread very carefully...are you going to release a demo of it any time soon?  ;)

Also I see it looks as though you're developing it in Fedora...? Or is that just a GLB program running in it and not the actual IDE?

Thank you. :) It is fun to play, if I say so myself. :P

My current linux flavour is Ubuntu, and I wasn't aware that there's a GLBasic IDE for Linux?

I'll release a demo once I've got the basics in place and I'm satisfied with gfx & music. Can't give you any detail on the time, although I aim to release the full thing end of february (on my birthday). My musician will give me the first tune on the 7th of november if all goes well.

Today I went bug hunting and returned victorious.  8)
For this week I've got planned:

- shield spell
- spell switching mechanic
- in-game text (messages, signs, etc)

Depending on how time will treat me, I may also start with the bird. (The one you can hop on & fly around the level) Possibly also the shops where you can buy stuff.
I've got the outline pixels for the shield spell set up. Will work on the details and colours tomorrow.
Made some text balloons also.

Yodaman Jer

QuoteMy current linux flavour is Ubuntu, and I wasn't aware that there's a GLBasic IDE for Linux?

I don't believe there is, I just wondered if you had somehow managed to get it to work with WINE or something. :P
Click the pic to go to my development blog!

r0ber7

Hah, you do watch this thread carefully.  ;)

It may work on Wine. I tried, but when my first attempt didn't work I figured compile time would be annoying anyway, might as well just dual boot. I code in Windows and do all the rest in Linux. Windows makes me twitch if I use it for too long.

erico

your second try feels perfect, congrats! :)

r0ber7

Thanks. :)

Here's my first attempt at a shield animation:

I think the start up is ok, but the loop could probably benefit from an extra frame.

Ruidesco

#2 looks like something you can walk with (like the 2D Sonic games' shield) while #3 looks like something that comes out of a fixed source and won't stop until you move. Yes, two opposing shield methods but that's what they suggest me.

Oh, and before I forget (again) the second, more curved fire blast is better for any kind of object.

Great work! :good:

r0ber7

Quote from: Ruidesco on 2011-Oct-25
#2 looks like something you can walk with (like the 2D Sonic games' shield) while #3 looks like something that comes out of a fixed source and won't stop until you move. Yes, two opposing shield methods but that's what they suggest me.

Mmhmm, the idea is that this shield will move along with the player for a certain time. So, here's my latest tweaking:

Shield charge up:

Shield active:

May improve this later on, but for now I'm keeping this as place-holder art so tomorrow I can code this thing into the game.

r0ber7

Ruidesco

The shield looks very good already and the lettering is fantastic! =D

Nathan

Yeah the game is coming along nicely.  :jealous:
How near are you to completion?