Burguer stuff

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamerman

As already mentioned player number above chefs at start/respawn would be nice.
Joypad steering is fluent, but you should add support for steering with dpad, as it feel more retro (at least on my x360 controller only analog stick was working).
Whats the difference between easy/hard mode? On easy 'stuck on landing' shouldn't appear, but on hardest mode this could give additional challenge, all depends on difficulty balance and how it would fit into it.
Game really has a chance to attract users, single screen co-op/competitive games are rare those days and on one side it's strength, but on other it's weakness as real fun comes with playing with friends, and ideal target for this game would be Nintendo Switch or eventually other consoles, Steam might be hard to conquer.
I hope that it will do well after release as it's really good ;-)
Check my source code editor for GLBasic - link Update: 20.04.2020

erico

The difficult mode is now gone. The only difference was enemy set up per level and their speed.
I got it all into one mode.

It works on the pad and analog here on my logitech joystick, maybe I have to make them both available since on my pad I can switch each to use by pressing a button. Well thought, will add that.

I will STEAM it this end of month I hope. It has one campaign of 9 levels which will present themselves randomly.
I will add a couple more campaigns if people are interested and possibly a random campaign generator if lot´s of people enjoy it.

MrPlow

Cool Erico! Look forward to seeing it on Steam!  :good:
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

erico

It has a title and general sounds, some more bugfixes and now to fix controls and level generation...

This probably happens with other people but as soon as the game is playable, my will to finish it goes down considerably.
I´m thinking to build up a framework that will easy up the last bits on future games, stuff with controls, scaling, openings, endings, game controls and all the boring stuff I usually crawl to get done. :)

Ian Price

Yeah, I often get the same feelings towards the end of development. They do say that the last 20% takes 80% of the time - that's because you can't be arsed! :P

Looking great though :)
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

Thanks Ian, this one must go out soon...

But, like @Dreamerman said, it seems the current config of pad didn´t work for him, only on the analog.
This is supposed to work natively on the cross pad of any joypad...but there are so many...:)

x360 and the likes of controllers are quite standard to a lot of people.
On my logitech, I can switch pad/analog by pressing  [MODE], but it starts on the correct one.

I can try to read both pad and analog to fix that, but is that really necessary? I wonder.

bigsofty

Looks great Erico, looking forward to seeing this on Steam.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

MrPlow

Hi Erico,
My standard gamepad config seems to work fine and Steam accepted it fine. I am using Dual analog sticks for my controls.
Tested with Xbox 360 and Logitech Xbox type controller.

Quote from: erico on 2017-Nov-17
Thanks Ian, this one must go out soon...

But, like @Dreamerman said, it seems the current config of pad didn´t work for him, only on the analog.
This is supposed to work natively on the cross pad of any joypad...but there are so many...:)

x360 and the likes of controllers are quite standard to a lot of people.
On my logitech, I can switch pad/analog by pressing  [MODE], but it starts on the correct one.

I can try to read both pad and analog to fix that, but is that really necessary? I wonder.

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

erico

Did you try the demo?
If it works on the x360 pad (not the analog but the pad) then it will be great. :good:

dreamerman

Remember that many people are using joypads from consoles, you just need usb cable to connect them to pc / or bluetooth, and they don't have switching analog stick to dpad like pc dedicated joypads. And in my opinion for such games it's just better to use dpad (directional pad / cross pad), same goes for arcade games from older systems - emulators and others.
I have checked and GETJOYX() is for analog stick, GETDIGIX() gets info from dpad, so you can read both, shouldn't be problem.

erico

Yep I´m originally pooling joys with the likes of:   jx[0]=GETJOYX(0); jy[0]=GETJOYY(0)
I guess I will have to add the others too for the reasons you stated.

Playing this game with the analog causes the players to keep dropping from a platform all the time, even if using low sensitivity.

erico

I´m just putting some final touches on the controls now where I want to have support for psx and xbox controllers like @dreamerman said.
Psx is all working fine now but Xbox not yet. Could someone with an xbox controller tell me what is its button mappings if it is easy to check?
I´m particularly interested on the DPAD responses and the normal 4 buttons.

I´m looking around the internet somehow without success and also can´t find anything like an xbox controller emulator.

spacefractal

its the best practical to read BOTH the analoge stick with a some deadzone (like 0.4) as well the dpad. The dPad in most this kind of controllers is often used as a flight hat seen in Windows.

On windows Xbox and PS3 is quite similar mappings as im remember, but they are very different on Android throught and some buttons conflics.

You can eventuelly uses the GameInput API, if you want to use it.

Just to make sure you reading the HAT and the Analoge sticks, if they exists.

Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

dreamerman

hm.. XBox game pad should be same as others joupads to check.
but if it will help you here it goes, Xbox 360 Wireless controler checked with joystick2.gbas from 'samples'
GETDIGIX() GETDIGIY() -> DPad / directional digital pad -> left x=-1, right=1, up y=-1, down y=1
GETJOYX() GETJOYY() -> left/main analog stick -> same stuff, max left value =-1, max right value =1...
GETJOYRX() GETJOYRY() -> same as above for right analog stick
GETJOYBUTTON(jpad, but) -> buttons: 0-A, 1-B, 2-X, 3-Y, 4-left bumper, 5-right bumper, 6-back, 7-start, 8-left stick click, 9-right stick click,
GETDIGIZ() -> 0-neutral, -1 -> left trigger pressed, 1 -> right trigger pressed
I've checked also JOYSTATE command and must say that using it isn't good idea.
If you need any futher info fell free to ask ;]

erico

Thanks Dreamerman, that is what I was looking for.
I´m currently using JOYSTATE though and yeah, doesn´t feel like a good idea but you know those games you code and they suddenly grow into something without planning? :D

I will try to work with those and try to implement an xbox pad support that way.

I will upload a newer demo soon.
I already got the Steam license for this and hoped to have it released in a months time.

Meanwhile, I did a trailer and a gameplay video, here is the later: